How well does Pages import/export Word files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArcticFox, May 31, 2005.

1. ArcticFox macrumors member

Flawlessly? Office 2004 is expensive ($150-ish eBay, hundreds normally), and might be overkill for my needs if Pages will import and export Word files as well as Word works with them. If this is the case, I'll plop down the $50 for iWork.

2. iYooper macrumors member

I waffled about getting Office 2004, also. I'm glad I got Pages, instead. I have no problems exporting to Word. It is flawless and seamless. My advise is go with Pages.

3. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I just ran some tests...

I just ran some tests on some old docs and found that Pages does an exceptional job of translating - of course I only have standard docs none involved automation or tables etc.

Don't forget that Appleworks and text edit will open word files - that said I enjoy using pages, and if you do buy it, I think you'll find it a much more relaxing program to use because of it's simplicity.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Word translation into Pages is good, but hardly flawless. It can't be flawless because Microsoft's file formats are proprietary, so we're always relying on imperfect reverse engineering efforts. Pages will fail to import text boxes, character shading (whatever that is), and sometimes tables (accurately) from Word, and will reject some older Word documents entirely.

The biggest problem I've got importing Word documents into Pages is the lack of discipline most Word users seem to have in creating paragraph and text styles. I've seen as many as 50 styles applied to Word documents. Yeech. Maybe that's a product of Word's confusing method of defining styles. Fortunately, Pages makes this mess pretty easy to clean up.

5. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a winner then - Pages it is (unless I can get Office for the same price).

6. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Office student edition os pretty cheap, and one thing iWork will not give you is a good spreadsheet app.
    I use excel a lot, and it's almost worth the student price alone.
    $139 on Amazon.

8. JonMaker macrumors regular

I agree. It's all I ever use on the Mac.

9. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

Hmm - OpenOffice Mac edition basically. I'll give that a whirl before I plunk down the money.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could also try AbiWord, another freeware Word clone.