How well does Quake3 run on a 350 Mhz G3... in OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by nagromme, Jul 28, 2004.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

My friend's Rage 128 Smurf Tower runs the Q3A demo fine in OS 9. What about OS X? Will his Rage 128 be supported and offer similar speeds if I get him the OS X native Quake 3? He has 128 RAM but may upgrade.

Reason: I want to buy us a couple copies of the super-cheap PC-only jewel case Q3. It costs 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Mac Q3A boxed. And I've been told you can make that run on Mac with the OS X patch!

If OS X will NOT run Q3A as well as 9 does on that old hardware... then can you use an OS 9 Q3 patch to make that PC disc run in 9, same way you can in X? And would that patched OS 9 version play on LAN against my patched OS X copy of Q3A, v.1.3.2? I'm told the last OS 9 patch is an older version #... will that be a multiplayer problem for us?

Thanks!

2. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

It will probably not run to well in OSX as I remember it did'nt run to well in OS9 for me either on my 600Mhz 768MB of RAM G3 imac with 16Mb ATI Rage 128Pro chip. I think 350Mhz G3 is the minimum system requirements. In the timedemo test from the Demo I remember my mahcine scoring around only about 20 FPS in High Quality @1024*768 even when reducing everything to 640*480 and low quality only produced about 30-40 something FPS. Speed is a subjective thing but with QuakeIII I can't imagine playing it if the FPS drops below 50. I find Quake III acceptable thoug on my Current machine 1Ghz imac G4 768MB RAM and Geforce4MX 64MB. Even on my current machine Quake III will drop below 50 FPS at times if I I have everything maxed.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

He's no hardcore gamer--he has the Q3 Demo running in OS 9 and speed is just fine. He'll happily run lower detail/res and accept framerates dropping into the teens at moments! He and I play UT99 on it all the time, too--640x480, but it does the job.

But... would the X-native retail patch perform equally "well" as the 9 demo, or worse?

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If he plays low res @ 32bit he should be fine and it won't look that bad. Still have the same machine back home somewhere ("Smurf Tower".. love it!) and used to play Q3 all the time in OSX.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm quite sure the minimum requirements were a 233 MHz G3, 64 MB RAM, and probably at least a Rage Pro.

Anyways, from playing UT on my Bondi Blue iMac with its 233 MHz and had only 96 MB RAM, it played it great. You had to wait for it to load. But it ran great in game with everything down.

I'd expect Quake 3 to be a little worse off. Playable, but not as good. But then again, the maps I remember from the demo were very boring and small compared to the UT maps. It might be fine? Maybe you might as will give it a try with your copy of Quake 3 and then buy him a copy if it works?

6. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Maybe so--the main thing I want is to play with mapping, really, and an old game might be a good simple starting point. I can buy my copy and see about him later.

I should mention that I've played both Q3Demo and UT99 retail (in 9) on my 333 Mhz Lombard with 8 MB Rage LT! Ouch! But when it was all I had, it was still fun. (Details set VERY low. I seem to recall Q3 actually ran a bit better than UT.)

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

UT worked so much better with Glide (Voodoo cards). Ran faster and looked a hell of a lot better at 16bit with Voodoo cards than at 32 bit with a Rage128.

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I really wish they'd hurry up with that new UT X patch. I miss that game.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, you can use the current UT X patch. But, like I've said before, my frames drop whenever I am facing water of any kind. It goes from nearly 100 to under 20 FPS. Now, this is with a GeForce4MX. I'd assume a more powerful card would stay above 30 FPS.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, the current OS X patch for UT is a beta. That's why it sucks.

Stay tuned to www.utpg.org for a new patch.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can the OS X patch be installed onto the demo version of Q3? That way, you could try it out in OS X without spending a cent :)

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Lol, we've been down this road a few times.

And the magic 8-ball says: "All Signs Point to No."

13. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

ok, well your friend can run q3 in osX, if he has decent ammount of RAM and also if hes running MAC OS X 10.3.4, my iBook 600mhz ran q3 in OS X at 60fps in mac os x 10.3.4 with 384megs RAM...as for running q3 on OSX but buying the pc version, it can totally work, the only thing you have to do is install the pc version on a PC and burn the baseq3 folder, then just copy it onto your mac and install q3 1.32 and youll be set, as for the demo on osx, its impossible...you cant do it.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Dude, he so doesn't have to install Q3 to have access to the baseq3 folder. It's right there on the freaking CD.

15. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks for all the help! For $9.99 a disc I may just give it a try :)

16. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

well i didnt know...sorry "mr. im perfect and i know everything"