how well does the MAC MINI fare at 1280x1024?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macOSX-tastic, Apr 18, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi all,

i am thinkking about getting a mac mini to compliment my dell. i will be using an 1800FP dell monitor, whose native resolution is at 1280x1024 pixels.

i will be getting 512MB ram, and possibly BT + AE.

i have heard and experienced at apple stores, with the 20" displays, a choppy animation when using things such as Exposé, but these are at higher res. than what i shall be using.

my question is: at what resolution does performance start to become "unsmoothed" in terms of graphics?

this sort of thing is important to me as i am an "eye candy" guy, who wants no caveats in a new system!

thanks for any input

tastic

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm running my Mac mini (specs in sig.) with the Dell 2001FP at 1600x1200 and don't notice any choppy animation with Expose or anything, even with half a dozen apps running and 12-15 windows open. I don't do any gaming on the Mac, so can't speak on that topic. I've used iPhoto a bit and the image editting happens quickly without any problems. I don't own a DV cam but I was playing around with iMovie a bit just to check it out. Adding some of the effects slowed the machine up a bit - that's not surprising considering the specs though. If you plan to do video-editting even on a semi-regular basis you should probably avoid the Mac mini. I'm sure my 1 GB of RAM helps, but I'm sure most any of your daily tasks and use of Expose would be fine on a Mac mini with 512 MB with that display.

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I use the Mac mini with 512MB at 1280x1024. No problems.

It is by no means a workstation, though. If I get too enthusiastic in my creations with several apps and lots of media content open in different places it certainly does slow down when switching between apps.

4. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

well, thanks for the input guys....its music to my ears, bank account, get ready for a cleanout!!!

i do none of movie editing, save for stitching movies from holidays together....the most intense thing this mini will see is somee light photoshop work.

tastic.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I set up my father in law's mini (the low end model with 512 MB RAM) at 1280x1024 with a (really) cheap 17" LCD (with that as native resolution) and it looked very good... crisp with no lag...

I was actually quite envious for a while as it ran so much better than my 12" iBook G4@800MHz with 640 MB RAM...

I really need a new iBook (or maybe even a PowerBook)... ;)

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I run my Mac mini (1.42 GHz/1 GB RAM) with a Samsung 172T (college) and a Dell 1901FP (home). Both has the 1280x1024 native resolution, and the mini worked perfectly with them. The Mac mini does have a measly 32 MB card that could be saturated easily, but 1280x1024 isn't quite it. Enjoy your mini, I know I do!

7. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

thanks guys, i shall be waiting until april 29th so i can get tiger, who knows, maybe it will have better graphics management features.

tastic

8. Patriotsv4 macrumors newbie

I'm running my Mini (default set up) at 1280x1024 on a old Hitachi 17"inch Monitor and it runs fine, no slow animations unless I have a ton of apps open(due to the memory).

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i'll also chime in as someone whose mini pushes 1280x1024 with no problems. it also runs photoshop just fine (with 512 RAM), and i have even been satisfied with its performance playing WoW (average 25-33 FPS even with up to 5 other programs open most anywhere except, say, orgimmar).