How well does Windows 7 run?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacFanUK, Aug 23, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have now got my full retail version of Windows 7 and I am wondering how well will it run on a 2.26GHz Macbook Pro?

I don't really want to install it and activate it without knowing it will run perfectly so anyone used the RC of Windows 7 that could tell me what it runs like?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Terrible. It's slow and bloated. Windows 98 is far less bloated than it or even XP. I tried installing it once and it crashed my computer and fried my motherboard. My friend actually died from installing it.

3. macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Windows 7 Professional x86_64 runs great on my 2.66GHz MacBook Pro. I have had no issues to speak of.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

My sarcasm radar is going nuts!

Thanks. Shouldn't be too different on the 2.26GHz then.

5. macrumors 65816

This is the biggest BS I heard. Installing an OS does not kill your motherboard. Windows 7 is great.

6. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Come on, the "my friend died" thing didn't give it away?

Haha good I'm glad you got it. Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has made so far. Even in it's unreleased state, it's still better than XP or Vista. Very fast and stable. You'll love it.

7. macrumors P6

dukebound85

retail? what? or the beta?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Retail. I am an IT student at uni and we get MSDN membership. The retail version has already been released to MSDN members.

9. macrumors regular

what build number is the retail? 7600?

windows 7 runs great, but i can't get my wireless broadband dangle to work with it.

10. macrumors 6502a

For those who installed Win 7 Pro 64bit, did you have to do anything different to install it? I just downloaded the ISO from my schools MSDN site.

1. Install Boot Camp in OSX
    2. Reboot computer with Win7 DVD in drive.
    3. Format Win7 partition
    4. Install Win7
    5. Reboot and choose your OS.

Is there anything else to do? Does Win7 have all the drivers for the hardware?

11. macrumors 65816

When you do the update through windows, you might get most of the drivers. Get them through bootcamp. Also download the drivers form Nvidia.

Well usually yes I would think Sarcasm. However this is Macrumors. Mac people say the most craziest things about PCs.

12. macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

If you were talking about Windows ME, I'd completely believe you.

13. macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Dude. I installed 7 on my desktop and it made my power supply explode and kill my cat. I called MS tech support and they just told me to reboot :confused:

14. macrumors 68020

Beric

I've got it running on my Macbook. The only thing to be aware of is that it does run significantly hotter than OS X, and that battery life is less.

15. macrumors 6502a

Reboot?? I thought a wipe & reinstall would fix the psu and bring your cat back to life... :D

16. macrumors 6502a

How much less?

17. macrumors 68020

Beric

For me at least, it's a good 33% less. I can't say this is true for every Macbook out there, but even with undervolting, which really reduces heat and power consumption, it's pretty bad.

18. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I will DEFINITELY give you that! :p

1. Sounds good.
    2. Yup.
    3. Yup again.
    4. No! (just kidding, of course yes).
    5. Here's where the fun begins...

Put your Leopard DVD in and install the Boot Camp drivers. Then get the Boot Camp 2.1 update (64-bit here, 32-bit here. Yeah, it says Vista I know but they work fine in 7). Install that. Then get the latest Nvidia driver from the official Nvidia site. Then run Windows Update. Windows Update will find anything the Boot Camp drivers missed and/or is out of date.

19. macrumors 6502

Which Macbook is this? And do you get the CPU whine? I installed 7 back in May (I think) and have been using it ever since (used to use XP). Everything runs really well, except my Macbook (early '06 model) now has an audible CPU whine which it never had with XP. A bit annoying, esp in quiet environs.

20. Ozy
    macrumors regular

Ozy

I can't get the release Windows 7 DVD x64 to boot properly on my 17MBP. I get the "Select Boot Type" with both choices 1 and 2 empty. How are you guys getting it to install?

21. macrumors member

Angsty

I've been running Windows 7 RC7100 (32 bit) on my MBA without a problem since May this year. In fact, I have only had one "crash" of the win OS since then so my experiences are that it is very reliable.

Pity about the price tag :( *sigh* Back to XP I go when the RC expires...

Ang

22. macrumors 6502

The price? There was a special back in July for $50 for the Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade and $100 for Pro upgrade. Now it's back to ~$100 for the Home Premium Upgrade. That's too much?

23. macrumors 6502a

If you didn't get it for $50 back in June, its still worth the $119.

Win 7 > OSX > XP > Win98 > Win95 (nope Vista isnt on that list)

flame shield on...

24. macrumors 68020

spencers

Installed RTM and promptly removed it and stuck with XP.
    It wouldn't recognize bluetooth on my original alu imac 20" 2.0ghz. I tried so many things to get it to work. Bootcamp drivers might have killed it.
    I need bluetooth for my wireless kb&m.

25. macrumors G4

I think you'd need a USB keyboard to load the Blue Tooth drivers. Once in, you'd be OK. (IIRC, I stumbled across this somewhere in the forum).