How well is the PS3 really doing?

Discussion in 'Games' started by fiercetiger224, Jan 10, 2007.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Apparently, Sony is doing a lot better than I expected. Best Buy's online and store pickups are sold out. It was only a week ago when they started selling them online too. I wonder when they're getting another shipment in?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat104100050000

On a side note, Blue-ray also seems to be taking off. It's just now starting to outsell HD-DVD. So which one would you go for at this point? Personally, I'd go for Blue-ray. I like their casings better and they're starting to have a promising lineup of movies for the next year.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=117

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I usually don't like to get my facts from sources like that. For example, never trust a wii game review from Nintendo power, etc.

I think we still have a while before a solid front-runner shows.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All I can say is PS3 looks like rectangular crap. If it doesnt sell well I would blame its looks if you can call them that. A 0 on the 1-10scale, 360 gets a 1.

4. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I usually don't trust sites like that either. To be honest, I hate both disc formats. There should have been just one format...

This site seems to be a bit more accurate on sales.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

So we still don't know the actual sales data of both formats as of now. Since I have a PS3, I'd have to stick with Blue-ray just because I don't wanna spend another $600 for an HD-DVD player. :-\ I'm just glad the PS3 plays Blue-rays extremely well and it's snappy too. :-D Once the good games start coming out, I'm going to be glad I got a PS3. I was contemplating between getting a 360 and a PS3, but I chose the PS3 just because of the titles that it'll be receiving, and because of wide Japanese developer support.

Haha I think they both look equally bad. I think the shiny luster on the PS3 gives it a slight edge against the 360 though. But I like my Wii better than both. It's small and sleek. :D

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

again....NPD numbers are out Friday, so we only have a few days to see how it did(in December)

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

7. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but I also really don't like dual-sided discs. :p

I just hope Blu-ray isn't going to lose the format wars. I think it's better than HD-DVD. Well, on paper it's a fact. But I like how Blu-ray sounds. HD-DVD just sounds like a mouthful. :rolleyes: Not only that, but I put my money on the PS3, so now I have to stick with it.

8. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I went to my local Best Buy today. They had 8 PS3s on the shelf and a friend who works there said they had several more cases in the back that they weren't putting out because nobody was buying them. I'm thinking maybe by next Christmas I will want to pick up a PS3. Unless more devolopers start making their games for both PS3 and 360, then I will have no need to get the PS3.

The Wii on the other hand, still haven't seen a single system just sitting on a shelf. They seem to sell out the day they come in on a truck.

9. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Wii launched with Zelda, a game GC fans have been waiting on for a year and a half.
    I am telling you sales will slow, and then Nintendo with have to offer something else to continue such trends.
    Ps3 sales will not see such surges until a decent price drop and a premier title(like Zelda for Wii)

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

-Blu-ray has 96% of the HD player market in Japan. "In terms of Japan the game is already over there."
    -Out of 10,000 registered PS3 owners surveyed, 90% have tried and will buy Blu-Ray discs. 75% plan to use their PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray player.
    -On December 20th, Blu-Ray sales finally surpassed HD-DVD sales (note: no word on if this is players or software)
    -Mission Impossible 3 was one of the best selling BD titles. In order, Underworld Evolution, Talladega Nights, Fifth element, Click , and Ultraviolet were the top sellers in the Sony camp.

Blu-ray is on its way to winning the "war", although once Blu-ray really ramped up there really wasnt much resistance from HD-DVD.

I got this from here

11. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True dat. I bought the Wii ONLY for Zelda. There's nothing else on the system worth getting. As for the PS3, Fall of Man owns, especially online play.

Sales for the PS3 will surge once a title like Gran Turismo is released. And that's going to be AMAZING. The demo already tells us that development is going well. The visuals and controls are outstanding. I can't wait for it to come out! Not only that, but the final version is going to be even better than the demo. :D

Ahh, nice find. I didn't know that sales had way surpassed HD-DVD in Japan. But then again, Japan is always going towards the latest technologies, not "extensions" of old technology, hence the extension "HD" to DVD. But I'd like to think that people would always do research before buying a new product anyway. The only thing that gives HD-DVD an edge is the name, but that's it. The rest is straight-up Blu-ray's edge.

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

That's one reason I didn't buy a Wii, and neither did my friend. He was pissed when they delayed Zelda another year to "make it better" and all they wanted to do was sell it with the Wii. On top of that it comes out for GC a month later? This is even lamer than Sony's "shipped" habit.

13. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I wanted Mario Galaxies as well, but there is no official release date yet(which worries me) Its also one reason I sold my Wii(though I will buy it again)
    Nintendo will do decent in during quiet months by releasing "classics," but I honestly think that will merely help make them profits(from existing Wii owners) - not actually cause more Wii sales.

Online-Gaming will help tremendously, but they need more titles than just Metroid to make more dents.

*again I am not saying they can't/won't - merely speculating on what can/should be done*

14. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha I know right! I was pissed off too. I ended up buying both the Wii and the GC version. I wish they would have made them both with the same features though, because the GC version lacks 16:9 support, which really pissed me off. Or what they could have done is give you an option to use the GC controller in the Wii version. I think swinging the nunchuk and Wiimote back and forth just to slash gets old.

Oh well, if you're a true Zelda fan, you'd buy both versions...Because there is one thing that sets both versions apart: the game is flipped horizontally. So it feels like you're playing an entirely new game...

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

arstechnica.com

From link,

Lethal

16. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

....and one retailer can be the measuring tool for all retailers nationwide. sure
    I am glad most people got jipped on their ebay profit frenzy(**** them!)

This just makes it easier for "early adapoters" to get one, and not pay an arm and/or a leg.
    Sales will surge later(with a price drop and/or premier title), you can quote me if you like too. :cool:

Its still hard to find in MANY places.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's an interesting thing to say.

"The Wii sucks because it only has 1 game. Zelda."
    "The PS3 only has 1 game for it. RFoM."

"b-b-b-but the PS3 owns!"

Oh, and I should expect a full game to be better than a demo :rolleyes:

I'll tell you how well it's doing here - it isn't. The first Christmas went to Microsoft, they released near the holiday. Then came the Wii taking the next Christmas, launched in December. March? ...

18. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I went to a Best Buy today, not really planning on buying anything specific. While browsing, I asked an employee if they had any Wiis available, thinking I'd buy one on the off chance that they did. She explained that they were sold out of Wiis, but encouraged me to buy a PS3, saying that they "had a whole pallete of them sitting in the store". Sure enough, there were about twenty just sitting there.

19. darkwing macrumors 65816

I used to say I'm a Zelda fan but I don't know anymore. I got bored with WW and OOT in their water temples heh. Never finished em.

20. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

But to the point of this thread, if people don't start buying PS3's it doesn't matter if 100% of owners buy blu-ray.

Once Sony starts rolling out the big guns the PS3 will sell fine. But until then MS and Nintendo will keep building their leads while PS3's collect dust. I think that with lineup 360 has for 2007 (seriously, have you seen how many sick games are coming out?) the 10MM unit headstart might grow to more like 15MM.

Plus attachment will be a problem for dual console households. If the games look the same and you have PS3 and 360, which system are you going to buy Madden 2009 on? Obviously the one with better online system. Which is why I'll probably never buy a PS3 unless Sony shows me something it can do that my 360 doesn't already (I'm not spending $700 for 5% better graphics).

21. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Dude. I HATE Microsoft and I'm considering getting a Xbox 360 when I have the finances.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

haha. similar here. The 360 to me is the perfect environment. online service and the upcoming features sound very tasty indeed. I just wish there was a Zelda style game. not beefy men in chunky armour, or frozen planets, GTA clones or anything like that. I want a whimsical adventure or the next *real* Sonic (waiting since 1995).

23. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha I never said PS3 owns. :p BUT it is pretty awesome so far. The Wii is pretty fun, and I'd like to see some more interesting games for it. I've never really liked the Xbox, although I do buy all consoles, because there are certain exclusives that come out to each console that I'd like to own. I'm waiting for Halo 3 on the 360. That's when I plan to get a 360. :D

Considering the current 360s are loud, I'm waiting for the 65nm version. And too bad they shattered our dreams on the HDMI addin. :rolleyes: But then all the other 360 people would be pissed off, and Microsoft can't piss their customers off right now...

24. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Until we start seeing more cool games for the PS3, the numbers will not go up quick. I still can't understand why God of War II didn't come out for the PS3. That would have been killer!

25. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, like a few people have said, once a real killer app is out for it, sales will start taking off. The only people that will buy the console now are early adopters, or eletronics enthusiasts who want to use it as a Blu-ray player. And that's really the advantage of the PS3 at this point, is the fact that it blends in several markets with its capabilities. Once there's plenty of triple A games and movies out, we'll probably see the PS3 catch up on momentum.