How Well Jaguar runs on 233MHz Wallstreet?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 8, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Anyone know how well it runs? Has anyone tried it? If not I'll post how it runs and that. I bought Jaguar for 37.99 and then paid $5 for 2nd day shipping from macsales.com . BTW I know tons of sites where you can buy Macs. Its basically unlimited.

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

It ran pretty good on my Wallstreet when it had the original 266 MHz G3 in it (which also had 1 MB of L2 cache) but some things were pretty slow (like Photoshop). Everything is running great on it now though... I put a G4/500 (with 1 MB of L2 cache) in it a little over a year ago.

I would really think a 233 MHz G3 (with 512k of L2 cache) would be pushing the limits on usability with 10.2.

Also I had 512 MB of RAM in mine when it was using the G3/266 which also helped out performance quite a bit.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't even bother trying to run any version of Mac OS X on the 233 MHz WallStreet without the L2 cache. It was absymally bad.

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here's the total specs of my PB G3:
    233MHz G3 processor with 64KB L1 and 512KB L2
    288MB RAM 66MHz, 64-bit
    30GB HDD
    Mac OS 9.2.2
    CD-ROM Drive
    Type II USB Card
    4MB VRAM
    And, btw, I've already bought it.

But think about it, you can put OS X on the older PowerMacs, the all-in-one.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, that's certainly a lot faster (thank goodness!) than the one I had but I still don't think that it will run Jaguar well. Panther might run better since it seems to be leaner but you have Jaguar, so I'll shut up about that. :D

You're short on RAM for a system with a slow hard drive, so you might consider more RAM, and a faster hard drive wouldn't be a bad choice either. I'm sure your wallet is underwater already, though.

Good luck!

6. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I can't run Panther :( because I don't have built-in USB. Also Jaguar requires 128MB of RAM, OS X does I should say, so I still have 160MB lol, this is the maximum hard drive I can put in it too.. I think I'll see if maybe I could get a little money (next payday) from my mom or dad and see if they'll help me buy an iMac (the older ones, they call them eMacs now it seems like). Thank you for your response though. Its appreciated.

7. mms macrumors 6502a

The old G3 iMacs are different from the new eMacs. The old iMacs and the eMacs have the same form factor but they are two different lines of computers.

8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Oh I know that, I'm just saying that the older iMacs which now look like eMacs, are basically called eMacs. But yeah. Someone is trying to sell me his PMG3 w/no keyboard or mouse for $220. But here's the specs of it:
    350MHz G3
    320 Ram
    32 MB video card
    16MB video card
    6 gig HD
    8 Gig Hd
    CD-Rom

If I bought that I'd have to buy a Keyboard, mouse, and monitor convert. I want to buy it so badly though. I think I will. As for keyboard and mouse. As long as it has OS X or higher I have a keyboard (its my brother's PS2 one for FFXI online and that). A mouse though... I'd just have to go buy one for $5 thats USB.

So how should I do the install of Jaguar? Should I do a full wipe and install or what? I want photoshop elements on there though, but I could go without and buy photoshop for very cheap here on the net. I know a place where I can get it for $50, yes its legal too. So... what does everyone propose that I do. Or should I make it on a seperate partition?

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have run jaguar on a beige g3 266 with 512 L2 cache and 160 mb ram,
    it ran horrible until i upped the ram to 384 mb, so wit 288 mb ram it should be usable for browsing and texteditng and such.

A PS/2 keyboard will NOT work on a mac!!
    You need a usb keyboard (or maybe a old apple keyboard, cuz i think the B&W G3 has an ADB port..) you said it had both a 16 mb and a 32 mb card ??
    It possibly has both a Rage 128 (16mb) and a Radeon 7000 (32 mb).
    Radeon 7000 is a pretty decent card in a B&W G3, so if you uppgrade it with a little faster processor you have a killer of an OSX machine.

You can use any vga monitor on this machine (if the cards are rage 128 and radeon 7000), but not older mac-monitors.

10. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Read it w/o the slash, I don't mean PS/2 I mean PS2 as in playstation 2 keyboard. Its USB, the only way I could use the B&W, I know that the ports aren't PS\2 and that they are ADB. Read into it a little more.

11. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok well I can see how thats misleading, but its my brother's PS2 and its his keyboard for the PS2, IOW USB. (IOW in other words) So I was thinking about using that one. AFAIK it should run (AFAIK as far as I know) it w/out any problems, provided it has mac OS X.x on it.

12. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

The answer is simple....

Not as well as Panther.

13. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Jaguar on old iMac

I installed Jaguar on a 266 MHz iMac with 512 MB of RAM. All the graphics (3D & QuickTime) are software rendered so it is not suitable for multimedia.