How well would this system work for me?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Ok, here's what I wanna do. I want a computer that can surf the Internet, use e-mail, play DVD-movies, listen to music, use a wireless network on (between a Mac and a PC), use a word processor, use a digital camera with a printer and photo editing software (which I can get later), be able to easily transport it in a case, and play games, all without any trouble. Would the following system work for me FOR YEARS TO COME or should I wait for the G5 ? i.e. I'm not buying the PowerMac or PowerBook since they're beyond my budget.

NOTICE: Some of the items in the list below I plan to purchase separately from the system, since I don't want to make payments on these items. ;)

What do you think? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Heh??? I thought that it already shipped with appleworks installed!:confused: Mine did...

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yea

You will be fine. I do all that with a G4 400MHz Sawtooth and a Radeon Mac Edition

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Personally, I would go with the 10 gb iPod :p

Really, if you think about it, if you wanted the remote and carrying case for the 5 gb iPod, you'd spend 70 bucks more, so it's like getting a better iPod with 5 more gigs for only 30 bucks :D

The system seems nice. I sure wish I had something like that, but my iBook works just fine...

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

it will work

that system should do fine for what you want to do. however you save some money by not buying AppleWorks since it is included in the system and by not maxing out the RAM with Apple's RAM, it's really expensive. Just get the lowest amount of RAM possible from Apple, then buy some from Crucial or somwhere else and you can save some money. Then you would have the extra money to buy the 10 GB iPod.

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: it will work

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. ;)

7. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

man.. i wish i had the money for that..

have fun!

8. JamesDP macrumors member

You also have an Airport Card listed in the specs on the system and then one listed separately further down.

The most I would do for the memory would be to get it with one 512MB module, that way you don't have to void your warranty to get 1GB and you save a couple hundred by buying the second 512MB module somewhere else.

9. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Yeah, don't I need two: one for each computer. :rolleyes:

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You'll be able to do all the things you mentioned on that iMac for years to come. However, in a few years, that iMac is going to seem like a total dog, unless you are or plan on becoming a Mac zealot, in which case it will be wicked fast forever.

Also, you don't need the AirPort hub if you've only got two computers.

11. JamesDP macrumors member

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I used the 800 mhz iMac at compUSA and it was really snappy. It worked great, and im sure you would enjoy it now. It is pretty hard to predict whether it would satisfy you in the next couple of years.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would get the new eMac that's coming soon with the superdrive. I say this because you mention transporting it. It is heavier then the iMac but it is a single unit without a big lcd on the end of an arm that all could easily be damaged. The eMac on the other hand will have similar performance but will provide you with an all in one unit, "which I don't really consider the iMac," that you can easily put in a bag or box or case. The emac will do everything that you mentioned you wanted with all the specs of the iMac 512mb etc. plus it's only 1708.00 including the swivel stand.

Just my 2 cents.

:)

By the way that order you posted must be dated because the price for the iMac with the specs you list is now only $2149.00. I seem to remember that they droped the price on it $100 recently.

14. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Uh...dude, how are you supposed to move around 50lbs. of your "all in one" computer? Btw, the imac only weighs 21.2lbs....

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I move my 27" Sony all the time by myself. I just think that the iMac is prone to breakage with the lcd and arm and all. I know the arm can be used like the handle but the screen needs to be protected and all in all this is a very cumbersome computer that will not fit in a normal case nicely.

By the way I have hefted the eMac and I find it very easy to carry yes it's a little heavy but the shape makes it easy with the heavy glass of the screen resting against your body.

16. newmanium macrumors member

no, i think u're wrong there bandit. the eMac is very much as heavy as it looks. i work at a mac store and picking them up, turning them over and setting them back down each and every day doesnt make things any easier for me. i lift the imac all the time, and i suggest holding it by the arm with one hand and the bottom the imac with the other. the emac in the other hand has no real handle and u are forced to bearhug the computer for transporting. with all macs though, you have to treat them with care and love, so its possible to keep either one in good condition, just take the necessary precautions. but i still believe the imac will give u the better overall experience without a hernia.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Bear hugging something of this value is the only way to do it and that is what I described in my post by having the screen against your body. If you think 50lbs is heavy you need to get in shape. Saying 50lbs is to heavy is like saying a very small child is too heavy to pick up.

My point is not the total ease of portability but the resistance to damage. Yes you can scratch or damage the eMac but the screen isn't going to get damaged very easily unless you drop it wich would be fatal to the iMac also. My point here is on how delicate an LCD screen is most people don't think of this because they are use to CRT screens which you can clean with almost anything without scratching it where on the other hand you need to be very careful in the care of an LCD.

I don't really want to start a fight over this it's just that maybe I should just say that I don't think the iMac should be considered portable by any standards and you're saying the same about the eMac so maybe he should by an iBook or an older Powerbook if he wants portability and get an external superdrive. Then the screen would be protected.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Bear hugging something of this value is the only way to do it and that is what I described in my post by having the screen against your body. If you think 50lbs is heavy you need to get in shape. Saying 50lbs is to heavy is like saying a very small child is too heavy to pick up.

My point is not the total ease of portability but the resistance to damage. Yes you can scratch or damage the eMac but the screen isn't going to get damaged very easily unless you drop it wich would be fatal to the iMac also. My point here is on how delicate an LCD screen is most people don't think of this because they are use to CRT screens which you can clean with almost anything without scratching it where on the other hand you need to be very careful in the care of an LCD.

I don't really want to start a fight over this it's just that maybe I should just say that I don't think the iMac should be considered portable by any standards and you're saying the same about the eMac so maybe he should by an iBook or an older Powerbook if he wants portability and get an external superdrive. Then the screen would be protected.

19. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I've seen a nice carrying case for the iMac on some website that keeps it protected and all. Can't remember where, though. I'll go and look for it. . . brb. ;)

edit: here it is! ;)

20. BongHits macrumors regular

is the iMac light enough to carry one handed a good distance? (and without offsetting the weight via your back) I remember lifting one by the neck at an apple store and it's probably like 20 pounds...imagine walking a few blocks with that $h!t! where do you need to go with your iMac? the only time i move my PM is between my home and apartment to burn discs for my parents.

21. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Over to a friends house once a week. Also, I might take it with me on vacation sometimes and set it up in the hotel room. That would be nice. :D

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I still recommend a laptop though the case for the iMac looks good and protects the screen well.

The final decission of course is up to you and your limitations by budget.

Good luck and have fun with which ever one you get. Being a Mac it would be hard to be disatisfied with any of them.

23. BongHits macrumors regular

if your driving it's all good...but imagine sending your imac through the airport luggage....:eek:

24. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Get the iMac and the carrying case for that...You don't want to lug that 50lbs. eMac around once a week! Or on vacation for that matter!;)

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

For the duty your wanting after seeing all the evidence presented I would have to agree on the iMac. That is only if you can't afford an iBook or Powerbook that will work for you because they would be much better suited to traveling.