How will Apple change from the G4 to the 970?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sonicbaz, May 13, 2003.

1. sonicbaz macrumors member

G'day just wondering if Apple will try and sell the current models and the new 970 models at the same time?

Maybe the 970s will be listed under a Pro heading or Ulitmate 1, Ultimate 2 etc, allowing time for the G4's to phase out.

Anyone care to speculate on the way Apple will do this?

Thnx

Baz

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: How will Apple change from the G4 to the 970?

that sounds like a plausible idea

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

no i see it like this:

OS X 10.x (most likely .3) is 64 bit and 32bit

*PMac - 970 + top of line DP 970
    *PBook - maybe top of line 970 but slower due to heat and maybe not before .09 process
    *iMac - mostly G4 with 970 maybe in top of line
    *eMac - all G4 but at todays speeds with the same FSB and RAM etc that is used in todays PMacs, same for iMac
    *iBook - top of line maybe G4 or all G4. But only once PBook is all 970.

All macs run OS X 10.64bit which has a 32bit layer and a 64bit layer.
    -On 64bit machines it allows 32bit apps by using the 970 switch to run them natively - 64bit apps run natively.
    -On a 32bit machine the OS has a 64bit emulation layer that will allows 64 bit apps to run, albeit slower.
    -This allows the software maker to create a 64biit piece of software only and it will run anywhere on any mac with the required version of MacOS.
    -I see classic being phased out about three versions after the 64bit version and the 64bit layer being eliminated once 32bit machines no longer have the capability to run the latest version of MacOS.

What does the peoples say to my OS design at least. The hardware is a wild guess based on what may be the best for their marketing - especially with the iBook considering that IBM also makes the proccessor for that. They may just keep it going a little faster (i.e. 1-200Mhz slower than PBook) until all PBooks are 970 then move the entire line to the G4.

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: How will Apple change from the G4 to the 970?

So fast we don't really know how it happened, I hope.

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think the pro-line computers will get the 970. and also the high-end imac may get a 970.

6. freundt macrumors member

I think it wholey depends.

Right now I've only heard rumors of two new mobo's being made. This means only two lines are getting updates. One of them is the PowerMacs for sure.. who knows about the other line - XServe probably.

So, I think they will do it by product lines, refreshing the whole product line at once, starting with the two mentioned above, then following in whatever order makes the most sense to them. (probably Powerbooks, then iMacs).

IBooks won't be refreshed untill a few months after the power books.

anyways,
    that's my penny and a half.

_f

7. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

If Apple plans on suing Apple they will have to change the whole lineup (except the iBook-those are G3s) to the G5 to get away form Moto's G4. Or at least I hope.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Apple sue Apple? Now that would be interesting...Would Steve be both the defendant and plaintiff?

9. fred_garvin macrumors regular

New PowerMac Name

But what will they call the new towers? The trend seems to be that Steve will introduce the new PowerMac Extreme featuring the 970 cpu.

I suppose they could also continue to sell off the Non extreme G4 powermacs until they ran out.