How will Half-Life 2 perform on an entry-level MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by omgwut, Aug 13, 2006.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    Hey everyone,
    Due simply to some financial limitations, the MacBook Pro that I may be buying may simply have to be the entry-level model.. that is, the 15.4" display, the 1.83GHz Core Duo processor and the 128MB X1600 GPU (instead of the 256).. But I'll certainly bump the RAM up to a gig at least.

I plan on dualbooting into Windows XP and playing the occasional Source game like Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source on it. Despite that I might not have the cash to be able to settle for a 2.16GHz CPU and a 256MB video card, how well do you think I'll be able to run these games with these specs on full resolution and high settings, in frames per second? Does anyone out there with a base MacBook Pro care to help me out here?

Thanks alot. :]
  2. displaced macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2003
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    It'll run fine at the native resolution (1440x900), probably with mid-to-high detail.

My MBP is the 2.0GHz with 512MB graphics and 1GB system RAM. I don't think CPU speed will be a problem. You'll certainly be playable at the native screen resolution, but you might not get away with some of the advanced graphics such as full-world water reflections. If you're willing to drop resolution a bit, you might be able to raise detail levels.

I'm playing my way through HL2:Episode One at the moment :)