How will I access dashboard on my iBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Conor, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Conor macrumors newbie

The F12 key on the iBook ejects the disc drive and apparently F12 is used to access dashboard, so how will I access it?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure the key can be changed. But, don't you have to hold the key for a second or 2 before it ejects? Just tap it and it should call dashboard.

3. vodius macrumors newbie

You can reprogram hot buttons thru expose, and assign F* whatever to activate dashboard.

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

to actually use F12 as a function key, u have to hold down fn+12

Otherwise, reprogram the buttons in the Expose/Dashboard prefs in system prefs

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I hate F-keys. Is there any visual way to do it?

6. avalys macrumors 6502

You can either click the Dashboard icon in the dock, or set up a hot corner (i.e., move the mouse into the upper right to trigger Dashboard).

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Good to know. I figured there had to be a way to do it.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Crikey, between Expose using 3 corners, and Dashboard taking the forth, my screen will be plum out of corners! Hope Apple doesn't add another feature like this in 10.5! :p

Maybe they'll start making screens with five corners! Pentagon PowerBook baby!

9. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Don't be silly !
    A computer is a digital device.
    The next step is 8 corners :D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I actually only use two corners (bottom left for viewing all open windows, bottom right for the desktop). I can't stand using upper left for anything (too easy to accidentally activate), but I'd probably use upper right for Dashboard. If I decide to upgrade.

11. avalys macrumors 6502

Actually, if you buy Sidetrack and have a Powerbook, you can set up tapping on the corners of your touchpad to trigger Expose and Dashboard as well.

Currently, I have my bottom left and right _screen_ corners triggering Expose, my top left touchpad corner triggering a right mouse click, and my top right touchpad corner triggering dashboard (as well as the right side of the touchpad for scrolling).

12. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

I have my Exposé and Dashboard set to F1-F4 because it's much faster since my left hand is already in that area on the keyboard at all times, while my right hand is often on my mouse. It's a much more efficient way than F9-F12.

14. kewpid macrumors regular

Invoking Dashboard is a quick tap of the F12 key. Ejecting a disc requires you to hold down F12 for a little longer. So the one key can be used for both functions.

15. supergod macrumors 6502

Hot corners is definitely the way to go. If you set the bottom left corner to open the dashboard it is great because with just a click without moving the mouse you bring up the bashboard menu. One quick motion.

16. woodsey macrumors regular

I have a New Aluminium PowerBook.

At the moment all my function keys, except 11 and 12 have different purposes, such as changing screen and keyboard brightness and sound.

To use these keys as a F1, F2, F3 etc. keys, i have to press the fn key while pressing it.

Is it possible to swap this, so i would have to hold down the fn key to change screen brightness etc, but pressing the f# key alone would activate F1, F2, F3 etc?

Only reason I ask, is that activating exposé by pressing fn + F9 requires two hands, and is very awkward.

17. DeadEye686 macrumors member

System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse
    Check "Use the F1-F12 for custom actions"

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I would imagine you'll be able to set up a mouse button to activate it it too, just like Expose. So, we have a few options.

19. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I tried this and it doesn't work. You still need to use the fn key when you try to use f12 on an ibook for dashboard. I just moved my expose keys down one starting on f7 and ending on f10. Dashboard is now f11. I'm relatively new to this whole expose thing so it was easy for me to make the switch. For others it may be more difficult.

I, like many of you here, want to hit just one key, not fn and a f? key. The f1 through f5 keys are already reserved for one hits with brightness and volume so this is the next best alternative for one hit strokes. f12 is incapable of being a one-hit key for anything other than one long hit for eject. So, if you like one-hit function keys like I do, just set them to occupy f7 through f11 rather than f8 through f12.

Have fun!

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

On my Powerbook's keyboard and my external PC keyboard, I simply push F12, for Dashboard to appear. If I want to eject a disk, I hold F12 down, as always.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, exactly! I set Dashboard to F8...remembering that F7-8 do basically nothing at the moment. I had to redefine the keyboard shortcuts for changing keyboard input method, too, since Spotlight jones'd them. :(

That was actually a blessing in disguise of sorts, because I set the main (non-shifted) shortcut to be the reverse cycle instead of the forward cycle, because like Alt-Tab and Alt-Shift-Tab, the reverse cycle goes through all the items (I have three at the moment, although I should start playing with this new input method for Tamil! :)) instead of ping-ponging between the last two.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting...in which way do you have the system preference about using the function keys with/without Fn- set? On my iBook 12" (I just tried it again) it is definitely Fn-F12 for Dashboard if I set it to F12, whereas all other F-keys (F1-5 for sound and light, F9-F11 for Exposé, F6 for Num Lock, and F7 or 8 for Dashboard if I set it that way) work without the Fn- key.

23. jMini macrumors newbie

I recently switched over to mac with my little mini. I just set my tiger up in this way and i am already reaping the benifits. Reaching for F9 etc. all the time was giving me doubts about how useful exposé and dashboard were gonna be. Now im happy.

Try It!

Jay