How will Oblivion run on an Imac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jossceluch, May 13, 2006.

1. Jossceluch macrumors newbie

Jossceluch

I'm getting an iMac intel core duo with 2Gb ram, 2.0Gh processor, and the graphics card update.... Does anyone know how Oblivion will run on this computer?:confused:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have that exact machine, and the answer

V.Nicely. I run it at 1280x768 with everything on high, HDR lighting and additional shadow setting all on (except self shadow which makes faces look like poo) and it runs very very smoothly indeed. It looks on par with my 360 & HDTV and it's actually a lot smoother (outdoors anyway)..

It surprised me how well it ran.

Actually all the tests I've ran on it and framerate (games like F.E.A.R - Doom 3 - Quake 4 - FarCry) the machine actually matches the peformance of my gaming pc . Pentium 4 3ghz, 1gb Mem, ATI X800 XT PE.

The Core Duo is a great processor - probably the best Intel has ever released, and it is obviously compensating for the difference in graphics power from X800Xt to X1600. The extra mem must be helping too.

Battlefield 2 is better on my iMac than my gaming rig at 1280x1024

3. Jossceluch thread starter macrumors newbie

Jossceluch

Thanks

Thanks for the help man... I'll be sure to get Oblivion... I'm only 14 so I have to save up... I only have 800 bucks left to pay...:D

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Cool.

When I was 14 the price of macs were so so so far out of my range they were in a different hemisphere :D Good luck...

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I um, reinstalled WinXP and accidently lost all my Oblivion save games. I saved my Max Payne 2 ones, but Oblivion - naaa, forgot. Does anyone by any chance have a saved game just before you leave the sewers? I really cannot be bothered to go through those damned sewers AGAIN!

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Awww, come on! Fighting mutant rats is soooooooooo fun!

...wink...

I have a saved game, as a Bard. Apparently nobody likes a Bard...

On a side note, I've yet to see how or why this game is fun.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

At you see but when you leave the sewers you have a chance to change all your stats! That's what's good about that bit. The game seems a bit slow to me...do you not think that fighting is near impossible?

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Yes, I hate the game. The fighting is absolutely worthless.

I fail to see what's so great about this game, aside from the fact that you can walk anywhere.

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I'll have a play again. On a real side not, I've gotten used to CTRL+V instead of APPLE+V for paste. The shame of using BootCamp....

10. Sea5onS macrumors newbie

Sea5onS

The fighting is a hundred times better than it was in Morrowind!

I've been playing it on 360, though. It's pretty fun and the story starts picking up MUCH SOONER than it did in Morrowind. That helps with the "wandering aimlessly" feeling. Sure, you can still go wherever you want, but at least you CAN pursue the main plot if you wish.

But Oblivion isn't really too much about plot for me, it's about completing tons of quests and becoming powerful.

I dunno if I'll beat it all though.

11. esahetar macrumors newbie

I liked morrowind on the xbox but am not bothered to get a 360, so im wondering if oblivion will work on my OSX mac.
    and, what is a 'bootcamp'?

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

BootCamp lets you create a partition for Windows XP, create a XP driver CD and effectively boot into XP. Oblivion runs great on my iMac.

13. esahetar macrumors newbie

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

You need a copy of Windows XP SP2 to run it or you can slipstream older versions, check out some of the posts on how to do it in the forum.

15. esahetar macrumors newbie

is the following package correct?
    Windows XP Professional SP2 English NA Patch CD Web Only Pro/Home
    will it still work without the intel?

16. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Sounds about right. If it's a Windows XP SP2 CD it should work. If it's a copy or anything else, if it hasn't been copied like the original you'll run into problems. Give it a go, make sure you back up all your stuff, run BootCamp and see what happens...if it doesn't like the disc it'll tell you.