How will society change with our kids being able to read our posts when the grow up?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Macco posted a comment in this thread that really got me thinking. He made a comment about my son reading what I had posted... I never really gave it a thought before, but my oldest is 5 now. In another 10 years he will be on-line maybe even surfing Mac rumors...

With some places archiving several websites, or Arn's continued success, there is a possibility that he will be able to read what I have posted. Can you imagine if you could read what your parents conversed about when the were teenagers, early to late twenties? The idea is phenomenal to me....

What do you guys think?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I have never thought about the idea of when does my life becoming a digital archive...interesting.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

perhaps one day i'll show Kwyjibo Jr. smelkem.com but not very early.... I dont' think arn will be able to host all of the posts forever ... i'm 18 i'm not worried about my kids reading much and if they try i'll use my router to block the domain simple enough for me

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I had never really thought much about future offspring reading the posts.

Often when I read Political Discussions it amuses me to think that some of the trolls might one day run for office and be haunted by their posts :p

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sounds like arn could start quite a good business either selling your historical data to the highest bidder or accepting hush money from you! And to think that we thought he was running the site just because he's a Macintosh fan and a great guy!

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i have actually thought about this one a bit... tho at this point, i do not want children, and i do not foresee that changing, who knows i guess. not something i'm too concerned about. as to other people-- i take full responsibility for anything i say, and i hope that if anyone ever reads what i've written online over many years, they realize the constant changing that a person does... no one of us is the same from year to year, so our opinions and style and personality will change... *gay voice* we're all just ever-blossoming flowers...

pnw

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I think I can agree with Dan Quayle on this when he says, "I stand by all the misstatements that I have made."

8. Jagga macrumors member

This is actually phenomenal!
    First off it would give a great insight to our children and their generation of how we thought from time to time, and an edge on improving upon us. Of course that what every parents goal is!!!!!!
    Especially on my coming spelling mistakes, and very changing mind thoughts as I type--just like when I'm talking in person.

Statements when were funny, angry, or even insightful when we don't even know it are so evident when read by someone else. Some people on this forums are so confident in there knowledge that I can almost put a voice to it - even though I may imaging the wrong gender - its still an amazing thing. Although we have nicknames/usernames different from anywhere else in life, I'm sure my son will recognize my posts as originating from me. he's five as well and so much in how he carries himself, or even his fear of the dark when he sleeps shocks me into thinking that genetics does have memory. Oops there I go again.

NOt sure of anyone else out there, but it would be nice to know that if your so busy, or even divorced and not living with your child/children or dont see or converse with them as much, that they could still get to know something about you by reading your posts.

Cheers, here's looking to the next gen.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i pretty much talk the way i post...and sometimes that gets me in trouble

since both my businesses require me to not talk to people...unless i want to...i wonder what i will end up like in old age...political correctness is not forced on a gardener/landscaper and computer/network techie

heck, my grandfather came here from japan and had a sign which said "oriental" in its title and i know that would never fly these days...after 34 years the store closed down...well before the more politically correct term "asian" came around...i grew up in the 60s and 70s and there wasn't an official political correctness

but kid's fashions were a big deal and the girls were terribly obsessed with their hairstyles ;)

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't have any children, so this this does not affect me. If I had children they would now be at they age that they could read my posts. I can honestly say the I would not mind a child of mine reading any of my posts.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's been a while since you started this thread, Stelliform, but now I can answer. You point out something very important. What we say online can disappear into the ether or it can stay around forever, and we don't know which it'll be.

I've told my wife she can read anything I post online, at MacRumors or anywhere else. Same for the kids, should they ever be interested. I don't find this inhibiting at all, and there are two benefits. One is that it gives my wife confidence that I'm not online getting in trouble (depending on your definition of trouble). The other is that it's a way for me to keep in mind that I shouldn't post something I'd be ashamed of later.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think it would be interesting to go back and read some chat logs from when I was in HS. More for entertainment value than anything else sense most of the time I was on-line then I was gaming (role-playing).

I googled my screen name and found a thread from '01 where the topic start said he believed MP3's would be dead in 2 years. D'oh.

Lethal

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    WOW dr q is a man hehehe

and yeah i would love to get digital archives of all my posts its history, maybe not earth shattering yetl but who knows one of us could be a mover and shaker int he future

besides i love to take walks down memory lane :) i save most of my chat logs when i can

14. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

This is exactly the reason why I post under an alias. What bothers me even more is usenet. About 6 or 7 years ago, when I was a lot younger, I discovered usenet. I had a lot of fun. Interesting discussions, learning things, and helping people.

But I was young and I have also done a lot of posts which I am not really proud of. That includes some really harsh flamewars, even some trolling. That's cool when you're young. But you grow up you realize it's pretty useless and not cool at all. But what I really regret is that I did all of this with my full, real name.

Browsing trough groups.google.com really frightened me. I managed to delete a lot of posts trough the google post delete system, but nothing really gets deleted because of quoted text which also holds your name - you can't delete these posts, only your own posts.

I really regret that I was so naive to do such things under my real name. It also frustrates me that all of it gets archived publically, and you can't do anything about it afterwards. I guess I just have to live with it. I hope it will never work in my disadvantage.

Be smart, use an alias! You might think "I stand for what I say and I'm not ashamed", I do too. But thats now, you don't know what you'll be doing in five, ten, twenty years.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting topic, but it hardly seems unique. Children have long-since been able to read the Journals/Diarys of their parents to catch a glimpse of their more youthful versions. Many times I would guess the subject-matter in journals would be much more illuminating than on-line archived posts.

Just seems like a 21st Century facet to an age-old tradition. I will say that future generations will probably be dissapointed with the generally poor spelling and sentence-structure of current on-line forum contributions...

16. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Don't worry. Doesn't language degenerate all the time???

BTW - If this is a subtle reference to my post (it could be, I don't know!), English is not my native language. I try my best but the only language in which I'm sure I'm 100% correct is Dutch.

17. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

18. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

you never know... he might donate it to a good cause... like a maxed out G5 for himself.

just tell us where to send the money! :D

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I will probably show my children my journal (blog) when they are old enough (when I have them of course). I've had my blog for about a year now and it's surpassed the 300 page mark, all about my life and journey from day in and out.

As for reading the posts on here, I really wouldn't care. All it is is me talking about computer stuff and being a nerd.

iJon

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it's interesting to think that all of our posts could be archived for many years into the future. i'm not too worried that someone might read my posts, i mean i don't spam or troll or anything like that, the majority of my posts have been helping people with their Mac problems.

but something even more interesting... what if you could read your posts, in chronological order, from all forums that you'd ever posted on? :eek: that's something i'd be very interested in doing, so if anyone know's a way to do this... do let me know. :) it'd be interesting to see if your posting was consistent between different forums, or if you put on a different personality when going to another forum. that would be so cool to be able to view all of your posts like that... :D

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can't even imagine that anyone would really want to look back historically at my posts. It seems that most in this thread have said, they wouldn't mind their children reading what they posted.

arn would have to try another angle. :D

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

From what I've talked about in my computer ethics course, employers are googling their potential employees and finding out things. Like if your name comes up under a site that promotes racism, you may have a problem. This isn't really an example of your children looking you up, but I feel it is related.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think its going to be a great virtual diary of sorts for many.

The key thing is that your kids or grandkids would have to actually be interested in finding out more about you.

I'm sure someday my kid will venture online, though whether MacRumors becomes a part of his regular links remains to be seen...:D And also by then, computers and the internet will be very different in a lot of ways then it is today.

Isn't there a place that archives all the websites on the web. I had a link to it a while back and it was fun to go see all my old version of my webpages...

D

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a 16 year old, and the last thing she is interested in is anything having to do with her parents or step-parents history. While it is pretty cool that technology will/may permit your children to go back and see what you were like "back in the day," I don't think the interest is there for the average teenager.
    Now, once your kid is older, say 30 or more, they may have an interest in what you were like, especially once they have kids of their own. Having kids changes EVERYTHING (but that is a whole other topic).