How Will You Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abrooks, Feb 19, 2005.

1. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    London, UK
    With the future OS imminent I thought it was about time to think about how I'm going to upgrade, a clean install is always nice but takes some real work to have it back to where you want it or alternatively simply upgrade and cope with any issues that may arise, when they happen...

Whats your thoughts, how will you upgrade yours?
  2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Clean install for me. It's a bit of work, but should be worth it in the long run.

It'll also give me the opportunity to replace one of the Barracudas in my PM G5 with a 10k Raptor.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I've just ordered up a 250GB LaCiE D2 external so that I can backup my iMac (160GB) and PowerBook (80GB) to. So that's what I'll probably do, backup, wipe clean and fresh install. It's the best way no matter what OS you're talking about.
  4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    A wipe and reinstall, probably. There's not a lot of stuff that I need to backup, so it seems like the best solution at this point.
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I will buy Tiger when it's up to 10.4.2 or possibly higher... then, when the time comes, I'm going to put 2 x 300gb+ HDs in my G4 and a USB 2 PCI card. I'll clone the existing installation to an external HD as back-up and then do a complete clean install of Tiger on the new HDs...
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I've got my 2nd internal 160 dedicated to the Tiger betas, so I'll use that for the official release as well - wipe and install, as with the others (installing build 8A385 today!).
  7. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Now, when you guys talk about clean install, that wipes EVERYTHING off the harddrive and then puts the operating system on it, right? So that I would have to reinstall all of my apps again?
    This is also what I was planning to do, but never having done it on a Mac, I was confused about some things.
    Apps like iWork '05, which are limited to one computer and come with a serial number - would it let me use the same serial number again since I'm just reinstalling it on the same computer?
    And what about Final Cut Express HD - I'm planning on buying the upgrade, so does this mean after the clean install I'd have to install Final Cut Express 2 and then HD on top of it? Or does the HD upgrade not actually rely on anything from 2, and is simply priced as an upgrade?
  8. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I'll do a bootable backup on my FW drive, and then a clean install from scratch.
  9. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I'll upgrade to bigger and faster HD before I do upgrade a major release of OSX. Always have. I start again new and fresh. Re-install all my apps again. Re-enter all my passwords. Reset all my preferences. Also a time to do some housekeeping to keep my home folder tidy and clean. Its like getting a new mac!
  10. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Yes, wipes everything. Good way to defrag. ;) haha

3rd party apps - yes.
    Apple OS apps - no. Those will go on with the OS.
    Apple non-OS apps - yes, you'll need to reinstall them.
  11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    I'm hoping to get a whole new HD before I install Tiger, but if not, I'll back everything up and then clear off my disk. I've been awful for the past few months have literally have thrown files into folders without any true organization, so when I move stuff back to my G5, I'll be organizing away.

Thankfully, I've been able to find stuff pretty easily with Spotlight...
  12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Going to go with a clean install. Will be much like a spring cleaning, getting rid of lots of rubbish hiding deep in folders where I don't see them... then re-install just the programs I need, not all the s**t that has snuk into the Application folders and elsewhere... ;)

I will backup all my data (home folder + iTunes music folder) to DVDs and/or external HD(s). And maybe burn a couple of CDs/DVDs with stuff which will be archived and not go back on the freshly cleaned and upgraded iBook...

Not sure wether to buy 10.4 when it comes out or wait for 10.4.1, -.2 or -.3, though... probably gonna get it early, since I'm gonna backup everything, anyway... :cool: ;)
  13. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    Yeah same here .... I'd use the opportunity to get myself a bigger HD when installing Tiger. Then use my current HD as scratch disk etc...
  14. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    Clean install. Always.

I do nightly backups to a firewire drive, so I'll just run an up-to-date one, burn another copy to DVD (just for safety) and then re-format. 3 machines. Ugh. :p
  15. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    I'll get a Firewire drive soon so i'll do a reinstall on that, install all my apps from the ibook HD and then use CCC to put the image back on my ibook HD...
  16. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Clean install all the way. I don't get why so many here think reformats/reinstalls are such a big pain. It's very painless in my opinion, much smoother and easier than back when I had to reformat/reinstall Windows. Now THAT is a pain.
  17. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    I'll do a simple upgrade. Never had any problem doing it that way before, and I don't have to reinstall any applications or move my music/pictures back over.
  18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Me too. I don't see the reason why make a complete install from scratch. I have upgraded from Jaguar to Panther the same way, and I experienced no problems.
  19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
  20. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    humm... i'm thinking of doing a clean install on my pb anyway as im having a few probs and slow downs so i might just do this now and just update when i get tiger, but yet again i suppose i could just wait till tiger. humm...decisions decisions!
  21. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    Only 3 machines? What, you're not going to also install it on that Mac Plus? :p ;)

I miss my Mac 128k... but then again, if I still had it, I'm sure it would just be sitting in a closet collecting dust. :eek:
  22. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I'll do a backup to my external Firewire drive, then format my PowerBook's hard drive and clean install. I want to start fresh and get rid of any old files still lingering from apps that I've installed then deleted.

Then I'll have to figure out how to get iLife '04 installed from the CD's that came with my PowerBook since I'm not buying iLife '05.
  23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Wipe the hard drive clean and install - it's what I've done ever since I started using Mac OS X every significant release. I started with 10.1, I wiped and installed 10.2, I wiped and installed 10.3, and I plan to do the exact same thing with 10.4.
  24. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    As of the moment, I don't plan on upgrading to Tiger.
  25. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2004
    Somewhere close to a dairy in East Texas
    I've never used CCC to backup anything. Does it just make a copy of your hard drive?