How wired is Your Life

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Jun 25, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    It's strange, but ever since I got my powerbook 4-5 month ago, the 15.2 inch aluminum beauty has been closer to me than my girlfriend(s). Being a college student, I've come to rely on my powerbook alot! Note taking in class, flyer making in Quark X, editing presentations in powerpoint, making safty videos in imoves... All this on top of the usual paper writing, movie ticket order, IM chatting fiend that I am. It seems to me that the powerbook has gotten to a point where its nolonger a crucial point pillar of my life, but rather the nexus. If my life were a big computer, the powerbook would be the CPU. That, quite frankly, is kinda scary. I'm starting to wonder if im too dependent and if so, what are some potential downsides to being too wired? Anyways, im bored as hell, so hit me back with your thoughts. Also, tell me how wired is your life, so I can feel better or worse about my situation.
  2. Amani macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Carb, I feel your questions. Thought I use my Macs for professional reasons, I too find myself very dependant on them, especially since I've freed up my iBook with wireless remote. My wife says I love my computer more than her. :) So there's the down side. I've been thinking about making myself go a day or a couple of evenings per week where I just don't get on the computer. It's too easy to use the computer and the net to fight boredom or get away from social responsibilities. I often meet far more interesting people on the net, I get see hot ladies if I want to sneak and do so, and of course it's a creative outlet for me beyond my job. But there needs to be days when I just shut it off and get back to reality.

I'm looking forward to reading the experiences of others.
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    im wired as hell. g5, powerbook, custom built pc, ipod hardwired to my jeep, bluetooth phone synced to my computer, 5mp digital elph, sell computers, isight, 3 game consoles. the list goes on and on.

now i am not the type to sit at home all day and do nothing. i have tons of friends and spend time with them most of the time. but if im not out doing something with them or myself i can find so many things to do on my computer (talk to friends, listen to music, browse and learn, work on my web page.). i can handle not being wired though, when i was in europe i didnt use a cell phone, and just used my laptop to dump pictures from my elph, i also was only online a total of one hour during those 2 weeks, which is usually unheard of with me.

i also like being wired. i am geeky but i dont consider myself too geeky. girls usually think its pretty cool that i got my web page (and they hate how they can't get into my mysterious "blog" on my page.) my friends come to me when they want prerelease music or movies and so forth. they dont call me geeky, they just know who to come to when they need stuff done or questions answered.

4. oreo macrumors member

Jun 19, 2004
    Kent, UK
    I'm wired as well, I've got an iBook & a pc which are networked. If I'm not out doing something then I'm usually chatting to friends or learning something new. I'm also just about to hardwire my iPod into my car. It's odd as it's rare that I don't go a day without being on the internet, but it didn't bother me at all that I didn't get online for two weeks when I was on vacation. I did take my cell phone & use that for text messages.
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

downside to being wired...yes, of course

many people do miss out on a lot life has to offer if they spend too much time on the computer, like me..but i make a living with computers, fixing them, so it's hard to say what is wasting time and what is work or work-related research ;)

for me i have noticed it could have cut into my sex life, i exercise less, go on fewer walks and ocean swims, and i weigh more...when i look around at the people i know, the fattest ones are either techies or major computer enthusiasts

on the dr. dean edell show, he has blamed computers and video games as major factors in childhood obesity...a generation or two ago, when i grew up, fat kids, even fat people in general, were quite rare

now all we need to make things right again is someway many of us computerheads can get thin online exercise website would be great if it magically made the user lose weight simply by visiting the site ;)
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i guess i agree with iJon a fair bit...i use Macs for my business, fix em too. i have a mac at home, just got a new G4 too...a lot of my friends come to me first when they want music, or software (advice heh) etc, they know i'm kinda well connected.

however, i do love to escape from it all, and it's really quite refreshing to have my cell turned off, and no computer anywhere near me. if only i had a dSLR i could see me using my mac for that and that alone really...

yep, i could quite easily live without any technology at all.
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i agree with your last statement. but its a whole lot harder to live without it knowing its waiting for you when you get back. i could live with it to, but only if i could go and do the things i wanted to do and never have to worry, that way i would always be able to keep myself busy doing something.

9. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im pretty wired, but not to the point i could not untether myself; i could probably adjust to unwired life in a few days; but i couldnt go without my phone thats for sure
  10. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    You mean some people leave the house without a powerbook and iPod in their bag :eek: surely thats not possible? How do they survive? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think theres too types of wired as you describe it, those who use a computer to augment their life and those for whom the computer is there life. In black and white terms mac users fall into the first camp and pc geeks the second :p heheh. If you can use a computer to make something easier or more fun or do something you couldn't previously thats great. If however you're doing it for the hell of it then I think its a waste of time.

Being a college student so much of your life is based around a computer you will come to rely on it, both for work and social uses. The downfall is make sure to back up important stuff, thers nothing worse than losing stuff, be it your thesis or phone numbers on you cell phone. I myself am useless at backing up though *sigh*
  11. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    having been a "working" college student from 1980 to 1994 when i finished, computers were not a large part of college...some art types were on the mac in my school from about 1990 on and many pc users, from about that time used the computer for a word processor or spreadsheet

in the mid to late 90s when the internet became a major college resource for most students, i was already done so i didn't partake in that so called advantage...but if i had to do college all over again, i would love to have the internet, windows xp, osx, and dsl/broadband be standard tools for college

in the pre-windows 95 era, the typewriter was still the major college asset along with liquid paper, the calculator, pen/pencil, and cheap standard line notebook

do any of you young college students today know what "liquid paper" is? ;)
  12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Liquid Paper, huh? The new pen type one you shake, or the old one that came in a bottle with a brush in the cap? :)

When I was in high school, we had PS/80s or something ..some IBM deal. No Macs that I can remember. In college (art school) we had Performas and then B&W G3s, with a few G4s. At that time I had a Toshiba laptop, and a generic desktop pc.

Since coming to Japan I've amassed a huge collection to the point where I can use a different computer from my collection for every day of the month :eek:

Most of my handhelds go onto the internet, as well as most of my notebooks and all my desktops. Even my mobile phone goes online. Sometimes it just gets to be too much though, so I like the ability to unplug everything and just relax with a sketchbook outside or something. I'm glad I'm the age I am now, I've never wished I was younger or older.
  13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    not very... i own the cheapest cell phone i could get with the plan, nothing is synced to my computer. BUT, i would go insane without my ipod.
  14. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the bottle type and the thing would dry up before i used up the whole bottle

it was maddening to write an essay because if i ran out of time, i would just have to turn it in as is

but computers, which came later, made it easy to edit stuff and you could make your first draft as sloppy as you wanted, hit a few keys, do a spellcheck, and presto...there's a term paper/essay

but even though computers came along in the early to mid 80s in large numbers in the professional workplace, many young college students could not get enough money together to get one

today, computers are accessible to just about anybody in school, especially since there are a lot of perfectly functional used machines for very cheap