how would i bridge connections

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SBik2, Nov 18, 2006.

1. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

i have a linksys wireleess connection upstairs in my house and i would like to buy an airport express base station in my room becuase recpetion is shotty at times... I would like to know how and can i bridge connections with an Airport express base station.. Help appreciated

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Bridging, or WDS (wireless distribution system), will only work through an airport express if it's connected through another airport. Apple won't guarentee the express as a range extender with a 3rd party router, but I have heard some success stories.

Even if you're just joining the AE as a node on your network, keep in mind that airport can be fussy about becoming a client on a 192.168.x.x network - it likes the 10.0.1.x format.

3. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

ok do you know of any other way to get like a new network in my room? Do i need to buy anohter router and another line of service?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had no trouble with the 192.168 format on mine, but it's an Extreme, not an Express.

Edit: 8888 posts :D

5. SBik2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SBik2

thanks you guys but since im 14, my parents have to buy it.. and since im the only mac user prolly within some odd miles(not counting the numerous schools around me) So i need it in an easy way..(Even though im very tech aware) My mom said i can get an express..(I can beg for an extreme..) but what should i do..(I dont have a real apple store the closest thing i have is called MacDaddy)

6. theforce34 macrumors newbie

airport express

the airport express with work with any router just download the aiport utility and its a flawless set up... the express is simply a booster and transfer hub. no need in spending 180 dollars on an extreme unless your setting up a good server that you want to access from anywhere. i have an extremely third party router. worked with my express straight out of the box. ive even added custom firmware for linux things to the router and it still my express worked and still accessed airtunes. :D hope that helps