How would I do this?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by original poster, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I bought a late 2012 27" iMac, 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and a 2TB Time Capsule last week to use for work (work from home).

I want work emails (POP) to sync on all my devices so when I mark an email as read on the iMac, it appears the same on the laptop and when I send an email on my laptop, it shows up in the sent items of my iMac.

How would I do this?

2. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

3. thread starter macrumors member

No that hasn't done what I wanted unfortunately.

4. macrumors newbie

Could you set your POP email as an IMAP connection instead? I've done so in the past where a server is a POP3 but somehow fiddling with the settings managed to do a synced deletion / mail read.

5. thread starter macrumors member

When I tried setting it up as imap it just crashed the emails!

6. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

I use a laptop at work and a desktop at home and my main email is my ISP email. It appears on both computers as unread which as you say is a PITA and can get confusing, but the good part is that it shows sent messages on both machines no matter which computer I use to send an email.

I didn't do anything special to set it up. I just assumed that was more to to with the ISP than anything I did.

7. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

With a standard POP3 setup in Mail, when you DL a new Mail it will be gone from the server as new, so won't be downloaded again on the second device... so you are okay there. But POP is not going to keep sent items synced like you want. It will only keep the sent item on the machine that sent it.

To get what you want you really need to move to an IMAP based Mail setup. IMAP keeps everything on the server and all clients are synced (all folders) to match what is on the server. Much much better for what you are doing.

Can you forward your POP account to maybe GMail and use GMail's IMAP? That would work.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I spoke to the hosting company this morning and they said switch to IMAP which I've done although it's causing no end of trouble, very frustrating!

9. macrumors regular

Tombs

I'm keen to se how you get round this, I have the same setup as you. Imac (on its way), iphone and 13 mbp pro and at the moment using outlook along with business contact manager but as you know its only on one machine. The only solution I could find was a cloud based setup such as Office 365.

10. macrumors 68040

You need to use IMAP email. If your current ISP cannot provide that... switch to a new email account that does. Then setup IMAP email on each of your computers.

Then forward all of your current email to your new email address. Everything will then come in on your new IMAP email... and do exactly what you want.

/Jim

11. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have never worked out how to do this with my hotmail account without flaws. My G-mail account does it perfectly though. That is between an iMac, MBP, iPhone and iPad.