How would you know your life is centered around your work/career?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Sep 21, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am curious to know when and how you would know you are revolving around work/career and have a bad work/life balance (lopsided toward work, that is).

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    If you're like me, and you HATE your job, then you know your life doesn't revolve around work...thank god.

But, if you like or love your job, then there's a good chance your life revolves around your job.

3. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

* Do you have hobbies?

* Do you go to social enviorments at least 4 times a week?

* Do you find yourself thinking about work/tomarrows workload when your off the clock?

* Does your wife sleep alone? (Joking on that one)

* Do you read? (You have to have a clear mind to read, cant be thinking about work).

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I know I'm slanted toward work at the moment because when I get home from work, I have trouble turning work (and all the drama that goes with it) off. Granted, I have work from work to do at home, but it's not just that. Lately I'm dreaming about work, not finishing my work until far too late (lesson plans for tomorrow? Working on it right now ...) -- thinking about it when I could very well be focusing my life in other directions.

It's hard, especially when you're in a new job, to let the work day go.

5. CompUser Guest

If you are like my father.

My Father:
    - Obsessed with work, and the main topic *on the occasion* when he is home for dinner
    - Willing to drive over 1.5hrs one way to work ever day and not move
    - Owns a blackberry.... thus can read and write emails anywhere in the world at any time
    - Doesn't know what is going on in his child's life- academically, socially, athletically, etc. Also knows more about his co-workers lives than his own sons
    - On weekends does more business work, or finds more work to do around the house.
    - Enjoys doing crossword puzzles when he cannot find anything else to do.
    - Favorite TV shows: This Old House, Norm Abrum's workshop, and other manual labor related shows- typically he does not watch sports except for the super bowl or the world series finals
    - Willing to fly to Chicago, come back to CT the same day arriving home at 1:00AM, and then wakes back up at 5:00 to leave for work at 6:00 to get to work at around 7:30 to leave my 7:00 and get home around 8:30 or later. He used to get home at 7:15, then 7:30, then 7:45, then 8:00, then 8:15, and now 8:30

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Well, I play with CS2, Macormedia Studio, and Corel Painter as hobbies (so that I can use them toward my works! to create good presentation materials).

I read CS2 tutorial books as I am interested in learning those programs as much as possible. I also read news articles. When I am going to take a plane ride for business (every once a quarter or so), I grab a contemporary novel just to kill my time at the airport.

Since I am single, no wife. So that question is not applicable.

I do think about what I am going to do for tomorrow's workload every time I go home.

7. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I love my parents also but I know your pain man. Its troubling for me to sit down at the dinner table and my dad to choose work as the main subject.

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think I would be exactly like your father if I had a family (except for blackberry; I instead keep my laptop on with Sprint EV-DO while on the road and on my home network when I am at my place. Also, scratch the crossword puzzle. I will be playing with my Mac instead.