How would you like a device that gives you total control of ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 28, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Neat-o!

sure hope it doesn't totally suck, 'cause it's got potential.

3. macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Wow Woah We Whoa! that is a killer idea...i wonder how much??

4. macrumors 68020

ham_man

That would be hella nice, assuming they can get it too work with most audio systems. And like Mudbug said, this has definite potential...

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 65816

GodBless

Yeah this is the best iPod car solution for drivers that I have ever seen!

7. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Looks like Alien technology.

Now I see where that technology from all those Alien spaceship crashes are going.

I would pick one up as long as it is not to much.

8. macrumors 6502

Yea it is a terrible blog - but is the car included? Kidding anyways I wonder how it hooks up to the speakers because I can't stand my iPod to FM radio thingy when I drive long distances and keep needing to change the station.

9. macrumors 6502a

looks nice, but...

One Word: Wireless.

seriously, the gray cable is gonna be different from your car, and have slack, or restrict where you put it, and get in the way. Wireless. And I'd mount a click wheel on the steering wheel, of possible.

10. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Actually, it looks a little retarted.....An eyesore if you ask me....

11. macrumors regular

Actually, I like the Dension iceLink solution much better.
    Integrates with existing radio, shows track, artist, album info, etc. on the already built-in screen, in the BMW pictured at that Harman Kardon site, for example, it would show up on the navigation screen. And you can control it from the built-in buttons on your steering wheel or radio. Why put another screen in your car with cables and holes in your dashboard when you can have it all in one?
    http://www.dension.com/

12. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Agreed about using the existing buttons in the wheel/in the car, but there is a case for a display. The Pioneer system in a Mercedes ML displays data ok, but the smaller sister Pioneer product that say fits in the Honda S2000 doesn't have enough space on the display. I think when the iPods go wireless and cars designers have had sufficient lead time, different products will emerge that will look better.

As a first stab though the HK is "neat-o", but why can't I get a all singing display that does Sat Nav etc

13. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's yet another FM modulator. Blah.

14. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

Wireless stuff is horrible for in-car use. We've had what, 3-4 complaints about FM modulators in this thread already. Sure, they could use a receiver box and the public spectrum bands for some sort of digital RF audio transmission, but that's still a poor solution. Could you imagine the amount of batteries you'd go through powering a backlit LCD screen like that? And you'd still need batteries for the controller as well.

If you have a good installer, you'd barely be able to see the wires. You can tell from the pictures this was a temporary thing. They didn't even attempt to hide the controller wire.

15. macrumors regular