How would you spend $48bn?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Oct 4, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So Billy boy Gates has $48bn topping the Forbes rich list for the 11th year in a row.

If you were dear sweet Bill, and you were told you had a week to live, how would you blow all of your MASSIVE fortune.

Now, this isn't just another thread where you say things you'd get if you have the money, you actually need to spend the full $48bn...which is harder than it sounds. It's a lot of money!

So, I wanna see shopping lists with prices, and the grand total as close to $48bn as you can get!

Get set...

...GO!

edit: No trust fund or charity bull****, you're a greedy selfish bastard, and you're gonna spend every single $ before you die!!!! muwahahahaha!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd buy Apple. :)

Oh, I'd also buy a Prius, or whatever environmentally friendly eco-cars that are around when this happens.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Very boring. I'd start a giant charitable trust fund and put my wife in charge--$47.999 billion. The rest I'd spend traveling first class to visit family and friends -- and perhaps Macchu Picchu in Peru -- before I die.

Edit: Well, since edesignuk has changed the rules on me, I guess I'd just buy a fleet of 40 stealth bombers at $1.157 billion each and invade the United Kingdom. Mwahahahaha!

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And how much would Apple & Pruis cost?

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Read the edit in my first post, triggered by your post ;) :D

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

See MY edit in response to your edit -- this means war!

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do'h! No fair! :p

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I would give $42bn out for charity, take 5 for businesses and 1 for living...
    and no, I wouldn't buy a Dual 2.5 GHz and dual 30" ... no... ;)

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

lmao. This is great.

Edit: And since we're all into editing now... ;)
    I would buy/or rent the El Arab hotel in Dubai for that week and spend it with all the food I could ever want with at least 7 gorgeous ladies and of course the entire hotel staff to serve me. Hmmm how much do you think that would cost me? I could spend more if you need me to. :D

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Did you read what I said in the first post? You're not investing and you're not needing money for living, you'll be dea in a week remember!

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i would buy a super-duper radar system that can detect stealth bombers and also a really powerfull ground to air rapier missile system....

then i would put it on the coast of england......

:)

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Tell you what I'd do, man... two chicks at the same time, man.

irmongoose

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

**** the money your going to die in a week..... arghhhh

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Sorry man, I read the question and as I was in a hurry didn't notice the charity note...

What about a ****ing great Funeral? :p :p :p

I don't think I could spend that much in a week... actually that question blows minds ... but nevermind, I would by my whole company and a big part of Nokia, Sonyericsson, Philips, Apple and would buy MS stocks for fun and burn them, record a video and would be sure to distribute a movie about that ... Would buy the company that makes my symulation tools and would be sure to translate the whole software for macs... Yeah!!! That will take me to the Heaven!!! :p :p

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's the whole point. It's not gonna be easy to spend $48bn in one week, which is why I asked that instead of people just saying I'd do this and that, the idea was to go searching for the most expensive stuff, and listing prices, try to spend it all! But no one seems to have bothered to do that yet :(

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Edesignuk : Because you started the thread doesn't mean you are free of a list... ;) I want to see one from you...

I gave already my idea but if I have to include prices as well, that's gonna be hard ... let's start, 10 $bn for the funeral... :( :p

17. iGav macrumors G3

$48bn....

hmmmm.... well I'd start by looking here

then I'd turn it into Gav Land, a land of debauchery where I am King... :D there shall be no money, currency would be in the form of 'Gropes' :eek: and from the taps shall not flow water, but Strongbow... and chilled Strongbow at that. :p

Cracking! :D

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would buy myself *
    *a castle (including servants and knights)
    *get a expensive meal (panda filled with delphin meat and caviar)
    *a suit made out of polar bear fur
    *a small country
    *make a few very expensive music videos (with lots of CGI) of me and friends where we are singing karaoke to Turbonegro's "**** the World", Refused's "New Noise", TINC's "United by Haircuts" and of course Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law"
    *100 elephants with lasers attached to their heads
    *a tank
    *a space flight
    *a monster truck-helicopter combination
    *a huge (100m) golden statue of myself
    *buy the dubai hotel just to blow it up
    *a robotic dinosaur who can destroy hole cities
    hmm it's a hard question

serious: would spend as much as a i can without weird things and give lots to my relatives and the rest perhaps to pay back the whole debt of austria and charity (i would get a statue for that ;) )

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I have done that....sorta. Apple and a Prius would cost me about $48 billion, give or take a few billion. :) I don't know exactly, but its hard to know how much a company costs exactly, as you have to buy the shares, and the shareholders have to accept the offer, right?

Either that, or I'd buy islands that are on sale at

http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/sales_islands/sites/worldmap_e.html

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

48BN worth of anti-Bush commercials.
    Done. Do I win?

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

this , a dual 2.5ghz powermac g5, fully loaded with dual 30's, call that like 12000?ish, a non-s mini cooper (about 25000 configured properly) a missile silo somewhere in the desert to store my car collection (put about 2 billion in that) and a good deal of desert around it in which to drive it, a solid gold toilet, express and force them to carry bigger sizes, and the road runner division of time warner to stop them from having suhc stupid commercials! im not sure how much that is though...

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Set up a fund, in my name, that would send a manned mission to Mars - along with my ashes and have them throw me out the hatch first so I could be the first man on Mars.....

D

23. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I think the world's population is about 6 billion, so I'd give $8 each to everyone on earth.

24. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Population

You do the math... I still have to see the list from edesignuk ...

25. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Some years ago I saw this and at that time were *only* / only :rolleyes:
    42 $bn and what he could do...

At last count, Bill Gates had an estimated net worth of $42 billion dollars ($42,000,000,000.000.00). He has earned since his birth an average of $32.31 per heartbeat, and this is escalating. He recently donated $200 million to place computers in libraries across the country. This is 1/210 of his wealth. Here are some other things he could do:
    Pay NBA MVP Michael Jordan's salary for 1,394 years.

Give every man, woman and child on the face of the Earth $7.46.

Pay every California Lottery prize for the next 34 years.

Fund 158 Mars Pathfinder missions.

Fund the US Department of Education for 19 years.

Pay tuition for the residents of Seattle and Tacoma to go to the University of Washington for four years.

Fund the US presence in the Persian Gulf for 11 months.

Fund the US peacekeeping forces in Bosnia for 157 years.

Buy 233,346,297 copies of Microsoft Windows 95.

Buy 1,680,000,000 copies of his own book, buy more with his royalties from those sales, continuing the cycle and easily the best selling author of all time.

Make Hanson the most successful musicians of all time by buying 3,529,411,765 copies of "Middle of Nowhere."

If he wanted to challenge George Lucas (worth only $2 billion), he could make 227 sequels to "Waterworld," or 35,000 sequels to "Sling Blade."

At the median donation for spending a night in the White House, he could stay in the Lincoln Bedroom for 46,300 years.

If he wanted to go on a killing spree in Los Angeles County, at the rate that Simpson was charged, he could kill 3,360 people and pay all his attorney fees and punitive damages.

At the rate of 1/2 ounce per $27 million, he could pay Mike Tyson to eat 1/5 of Evander Holyfield.

He could fly from Seattle to Paris and back on Air France 45,258,621 times.

If he wanted to go to a local baseball game, he could buy Seattle Mariners season tickets, all of them, for 411 years, and with his spare change could buy the team and the Kingdome.

At Denny's, he could buy a "Grand Slam Slugger Breakfast" for 9,150,326,797 people.

If he couldn't get service, he could buy every man, woman and child in China a Big Mac Extra Value Meal, as long as no one "Super Sizes."

If they preferred, he could buy 17 billion packages of Top Ramen noodles.

He must like coffee, and could buy over 6 billion pounds of French roast at his local Starbuck's.

Speaking of a cup of coffee, he could support one of those Sally Struther's foreign kids for 113,341,969 years.

Perhaps what he needs to spend money on most is a new pair of glasses and some hair conditioner.