How would you stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HalleluYAH, Mar 12, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I use Mac Tiger 10.4.11 When I download .Zip files, they are automatically unzipped by whichever program I have set as my default "(de)compression-program" on Mac.

Please tell me what I should do to stop my .Zip files from automatically being unzipped immediately after I download them.

2. macrumors 6502

You are using Safari?

Safari > preferences > General > uncheck "Open safe files after downloading"

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

How to stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

I've been using Firefox only for downloading .Zip files. Do anyone of you know how to stop it from automatically unzipping files?

4. macrumors 6502a

In Firefox preferences, under Applications, find the file type (PC ZIP?) and click it and set up the option to just dowload the file, or ask you what to do.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

".ZIP" isn't listed (I scrolled down the "Applications-window"). So what is causing my Mac to automatically Unzip files without my permission?

Screenshot shows that ".Zip" is not listed in that "Applications-window":

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 601

Do a search in that screen's search box for "zip". Mine has "Gnu ZIP" and "PC ZIP", both of which say "Always Ask".

7. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

For me, PC Zip is listed one item up from your screen shot, directly above PICT Picture. I also have Stuffit Archive.