Howard Dean on the verge of becoming the next DNC chairman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Essentially, Dean needs only eleven more votes to win the chair.

As far as fundraising goes, I think it's obvious he'd be great. But regarding Dean's presumed non-involvement in party policy...well, I doubt that's a good thing. The Democrats are not going to win people back unless they stop trying to imitate traditional Republicans. Reid and Pelosi don't impress me as people who are taking the Democratic party in the right direction. Dean would be.

Maybe party chairman traditionally don't help set policy or design party platforms, but perhaps that should change. If and when Dean is formally elected, it would be a tragedy if they expected him to stifle his own abilities -- essentially, his skill at connecting with people and his canny political sense -- and merely function as a nuts-and-bolts behind-the-scenes operator. Let Dean be Dean.

We'll find out in a week if Dean will indeed be the new chairman. I expect within a few months, we'll find out whether Dean will have any real say in the party's future. If not, then what's the point? Merely using Dean for his fundraising abilities? Whoopee.

Liberal media link

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the party needs some passion from someone, somewhere. i like dean for this position. if the dems decide to lay down when bush appoints scalia as head justice, that's not a party w/ which i want to be affiliated.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Dems don't know a good thing when they've got it. They need some passion nowadays. All that taking the high road stuff really doesn't seem to be working for them. He may be a little left leaning socially (which may not be such a bad thing in this climate of ultra-neo-faux-conservativism), but he is very conservative (true conservative) fiscally. He actually :eek: balanced the budget while Gov. Imagine that.

It doesn't surprise me that some in his own party want him gone. He an McCain should start their own party. They have a lot more in common then you'd think.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Dems would be wise to put out a couple of people like Dean (and Boxer for that matter) as the designated targets of right-wing flamethrowing. They can attract fire while the Congressional leadership is able to seem more willing to deal. Kinda the good-cop / bad-cop routine. Think Tom DeLay or the retired Dick Armey. Or the late Paul Wellstone. The left needs some 'trolls' of the political world for themselves. People who have to be taken seriously because they are elected, but who present irresistable targets for the opposite side, taking up all the sound bites and headlines and blog-fury while letting the leadership make deals and get things done without having to defend themselves every second of every day. This of course is one of the problems with gerrymandering, but if the rules can't be changed you have to play by them.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont see a extreme left wing Party winning the presidency folks.....

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Green Party is about as far left as it goes in the US, and that's not very far at all relative to the rest of the world. The Democrats are in danger of becoming irrelevant not because they're "extreme left" or even in danger of moving in that direction, but because they've turned into Republicans Lite.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Tell you the truth i like Dean but the party as a whole doesnt seem to want to back keeping American factories,doesnt want to do anything about a border out of control, is pushing for ways to redefine marriage, doing a lot of things in my view to make sure they dont get elected at least in Southeast of the United States. A growing region i might add.

Take a look at what happened to the moderates in both parties. I say again we a very left wing democratic party trying to run against god,mom and applepie and we have a extreme right republican party who thinks they invented those words. Democrats have lots of work to do when they start loosing things like some more black votes and lots of hispanics. They better reexamine their demographics because most of America isnt Newyork city nor Kalifornia.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Democrats have a lot of problems, but IMO the South is not one of them. The South is gone and they will have to figure out how to win national elections without it (except Florida, which is so far south it's north again). The South was only ever a Democratic stronghold after Reconstruction and remained that way due to inertia, and nothing more. The Yellow Dog Democrat era is dead. Long dead. It's not coming back, and what's more I loathe the concept of the Democrats fashioning a message for the purpose of bringing the South back into the fold, if only because that message will necessarily look to the rest of the country like Republicanism. Of course the Democrats can still hope to win Congressional elections in part of the urban South, but otherwise, it's a lost cause.

The Democrats can do a great deal to win back support in the Midwest on economic issues and gain new support in the West on social issues. The latter is where I believe future elections will be won and lost. In fact if the Democrats are going to be smart, they'll start now formulating a Western strategy, the same way the Republican did with the South 40 years ago.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Someone needs to light a fire under the Democrats' asses, and Dean may as well be the one to do it. He's the only Democrat I've seen recently who has the passion required to make a difference. Seeing Reid and Boxer(?) after the SOTU was pretty pathetic. Despite their congressional exploits, as public figures they were pasty at best. They didn't seem like they had any conviction whatsoever. My only worry is that in order to work with the rest of the Democratic leadership Dean will have to give up too much. They'll try to make him "safe", like Kerry was during the election. Now is not the time for tried and true, because tried and true no longer works against the well-oiled Republican propaganda machine. Now's the time for driven leadership with clear goals and bold strategy. Let's just hope Dean gets the chance to run with it before getting smothered by the wussy Democratic leadership.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Prepare for the Clintons......need i say more.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not Boxer, Pelosi.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't understand why so many people want to treat a Hillary Clinton run for president as an inevitability. Mainly, the enthusiasm for this comes from Republicans, who are champing at the bit for an opportunity to lead the nation in a chorus of "Evita," so much so that they're getting warmed up already. I haven't run into Democrat yet who is urging Clinton to run.

On second thought, maybe I do understand why it's happening...

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Me thinks thou dost answer his own question. :p

If Hillary wins the Democratic party's nomination, and she's running against some right-wing, neo-con, bible-thumping, war-monger... I'll join you all in Canada. The Dems will probably take the high road and play it safe again, not learning their lessons, and may squeak by if the other person is that abhorent.

Liberal or not, I hope they learn something from Dean.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Rhetorical questions... why don't I ask more of them?

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Thanks, that's been my best laugh all day.

Howzabout running Mr. Moore as an independant spoiler ? I guarantee it'd draw more heat than any possible Democratic candidate.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, with everybody else withdrawing, it looks like Dean's got the chairmanship all sewn up, whaddya think?

The frustrating thing about the Democratic party is that everyone has a different "solution" as to what's wrong with it. The guy in the above link, Roemer, thinks Kerry didn't convince people he was tough enough on terrorists. Others think the Democrats should become even more "Republican Lite".

I think IJ hit it best. If Thomas Franks ("What's the Matter with Kansas?") is to be believed, the problem is not just with the Dems moving to the right, it's also with an electorate that has been largely hoodwinked into thinking that Republicans, incredibly enough, represent the interests of the average guy. The two are tied inextricably together. Dems must get up the guts to stand up for things like well-paying jobs, health care, etc., even if it means losing some of their corporate fat-cat contributors. Only then can they truly say -- and people believe -- that they represent us.

The other thing the party needs to do -- and I presume this is something else Dean will be working on -- is not just focusing on the presidency every four years, but on getting Democrats elected to Congress. A majority in either house would be extremely helpful in blocking some of this crap that Bush is trying to shove down the country's throat.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, this is not exactly recent news, concerning how middle and lower class people have been hoodwinked.

Dean has some backbone though, and seems to have a good understanding of what the problem is. I don't know why people are worried about this, anyone that gets the position is going to be attacked. The GOP don't need much in the way of truth, if they want to bury someone, they will try to bury them.

The current politicians who are doing a good job need support from voters as well. And just because Dean and Hillary seem like they have a big bullseye painted on them is no reason to back down and take cues from the right.

Given the level of disengenous rhetoric from the right, I think they are scared of a person like Dean or a Clinton getting that position.

I sick of the right dictating to the Democrats lately on what their positions should be.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks, but it's early yet. ;)

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Touche.

Where the hell is everyone? It's perfectly clear we've never had lives before.... I was expecting some decent harrumphing... :p

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it's the final day of carneval ("Faschingsdienstag") here ....(i guess in other parts of the world as well) so don't expect any very well thought through postings...
    but for me carneval is more like a excuse to drink a few glasses at my 11am breakfast ...

..and sitting in front of the computer reading the MacRumors political forum with a glass of sparkling wine, a slice of baguette with cheese,and a "Faschingskrapfen" before me and "The (International) Noise Conspiracy - Like a Landslide" running in itunes is simply too much ;)

ontopic: put me on the list of those who are against the democrats becoming something like "republicans lite"... they have to keep their line..and have to keep doing oppositional politics during the 4 years

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's Fat Tuesday here, I'm considering going to the local Cajun place for their annual 5 course dinner. Kinda depends on what time my wife can get out of school though. :D