Howard stern to do satilite radio

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NusuniAdmin, Oct 6, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I did a search on this and did not find it in the forums but did you hear howard stern will be doing satilite radio in 2007? Amazing.

I am sure he will be able to do what he said this morning (currently) and pretty much create his own little thing.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

With Sirius or XM?

When my wife was working at XM several years ago, Howard was there talking to the President and getting the tour. I'm sure Sirius was trying to court him as well....

D

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd be surprised that they could bring in enough revenue to keep Stern happy. Satellite radio is all commercial free, isn't it?

4. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Sirius sorry i left that out. Ya he mentioned that he thought about it years ago but thought the technology was not good enough and it would of been a mistake. Anyways he sounded quite happy on the radio.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do you know when this was announced?

Sirius stock is climbing rapidly - almost 16% today alone. And XM has been going down a little.

A neighbor of mine bought a nice chunk of Sirius at $0.40 - its now $3.88

Not bad :D

D

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Stern has said many times on his show that if the FCC filings against him keep up the way they are going he'll switch to sat. radio where he can do the kind of show he wants to do without the government (an Colin Powell's SON who runs the FCC) breating down his neck. Looks like it's going to go this way. Now, Mancow (a Stren rip-off) here in Chicago is considering moving to sat. radio as well.

The FCC is a truly disturbing force in our country - renting OUR airwaves to the highest bidder and then fining them when the do something TV shows get away with on a daily basis.

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Dallas/FW has an Alternative Talk radio station, Russ martin and the rest of the guys down there do it very welll. I'd love to see a satellite radio station that does something similar... with web-broadcasting too!

The one feature I'd like to see in satellite radio is he ability to get my home stations in other towns. To pick of cd101 from Columbus, Ohio while I'm driving through Arkansas.. would be worth the $7 a month.

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

You're referring to "Live 105.3"....most addicting station I've ever heard. Russ is great, Howard's on in the mornings, and on the weekend there are shows dedicated to buying a house, legal matters, nutrition, and there's even an auto racing talk show.

9. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

I'd really love to see this work for Howard, and see him take a huge chunk of listeners away from conventional radio. This FCC Nazism needs to stop.

It's the true beauty of America, if you try to silence someone there is always another way for them to make themselves heard.

Speech will finally be free*!!!

*Free speech requires 9.99/month service fee. One year contract required.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The FCC isn't the big problem, The parent groups and the upset mother are the ones who are really controlling the FCC.

12. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

The cool part is that maybe he wont seem as miserable on the radio anymore. Like it seems over the past year or so he has just sounded more and more miserable and at least once in each program he complains about the FCC.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with Stern is that he has gotten a way with so much over the years that he got jaded. Now that it is catching up to him he is upset.

14. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Yes it is the dumb upset mothers and fathers that want to protect their children from EVERYTHING. My parents did that until i was 8 and then they said the heck it with. I awas allowed to see rated R films when i was 8. And to be honest I think i was better of with it that way, being exposed to that rather than protected for half my life and then exposed. (i was not allowed to watch nudey scenes in movies till i was 12 though)

Like with everything its just a dumb minority that is bitching about every little nipple or swear word on tv and the radio.

SO yes I totally agree it is the dumb over protective parents that control the FCC.

Maybe if we have another vietnam it will straighten all the parents out :rolleyes:

Just to add to this all of my friends who were not exposed to swear words and such till they were like 13 are mostly D and C students and not bright at all, all the kids who were exposed to it before that are very bright young adults right now who (most of them) feel the same way I do about modern parents. Would you call this coincidence?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Fascinating theory. Tell us more.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think I understand where he is coming from. His parents didn't restrict him to the point of being held back from society and learning for himself what is right and wrong and not just what his parents told him was right and wrong. Right?

17. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Basically sums up my experience growing up as well. Hell the first movie I ever saw and can remember was Conan the Barbarian when I was 4, and that was rated R. My wife seems to think I turned out ok. No therapists yet ;)

18. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Yes I learned right and wrong for myself. My parents helped me along the way to learn right and wrong of course, but mostly learned myself. Instead of having my parents views on most things I have my own unique views.

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

There has only been one instance where my parents used censorship. My mom didn't want me reading Misery (but Gerald's Game was OK?) until I was 12. They didn't mention it before hand tho, and I had already read the book. It was a fav. And when I explained this to mom, she pretty much apologized for not wanting me to read it-- she just thought it would be too psychologically warping. As if her attempts at baking weren't?! ahem anyway. She also never expressly forbade me from drinking, smoking, sex, etc. Which meant those were things I could discuss with her... Instead of "Booze is the devil!" which would have gone in one ear and out the other, she actually taught me things like, don't mix pot and alcohol, because the pot inhibits vomiting and could lead to alcohol poisoning. That little tip is probably why I didn't end up in the hospital like some of my friends... whose parents had no idea the kids were drinking already.

i'm a firm believer that liberal parenting is much more effective than authoritarian. But I digress, this thread was about Stern...

Hope he does well, if he goes through with this. Sad that the only place free speech is acceptable is on private systems, not on the public ones... Until ClearChannel buys out both XM radio companies, it's a last vestige.

paul

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The big question is can these networks survive even with stern, its highly unlikely that every listener will buy a receiver. It will be a good start at changing the industry but will he be enough.

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

By the way, a quick correction here:

He has a signed contract with Sirius to do satellite radio in 2006, not 2007. Stern has 15 months left on his contract with Viacom, so when it expires, that would put him into January 2006. Later in the year, he will go to Sirius satellite radio.

22. tveric macrumors 6502

Sirius estimates costs of putting on the show at $100 million a year. That includes the new studio they'll build, staffing and all the talents' salaries. Seems reasonable when you figure Howard gets only an estimated $20 million a year from Viacom. So, $100 million a year in added costs for Sirius.

Right now, Howard has between 8 and 18 million listeners, depending who you believe. The papers are quoting a 10-million-listener figure, so let's go with that. Let's say only 1 in 10 listeners buys a Sirius receiver because of Howard (and gets like 200 radio stations with it, or whatever the number is). That's $13 million a month, or $156 million a year. Pretty good profit margin.

And that's if only 1 in TEN gets a receiver. Howard fans are extremely loyal, and mostly because if you're a Howard listener and know the show and what it's really about, you know how bad the rest of morning radio is by comparison. I'm not saying that Howard's show is for everybody, just that if you DO listen and like Howard, and you're smart enough to "get it", then you more than likely can't stand any of the blathering, unfunny, idiots across the rest of the dial in the AM. So, maybe Howard won't get new fans going to Sirius, but don't be surprised if far more than 1 in 10 join him on satellite radio. I know I'll be there.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Howard Stern has seen a business opportunity and latched on. He will finally be free. This should be a real boost to the satellite radio business. Currently I see no reason to pay $10 - 15/month for the service, plus cost of radio. I'm very happy with FM.

24. tveric macrumors 6502

If you're happy with the same 40 songs being played 15 times a day, I guess you have no reason to get satellite radio. I hear a lot of people complaining about how generic radio has gotten since Republicans in Congress got rid of the rules limiting how many stations one company could own in a single market. For the sheer variety alone (100+ different stations) I'd get satellite. With Howard leaving FM for Sirius, it becomes a no-brainer. You pay 5 times as much for cable or satellite TV. Why the hell WOULDN'T I get a satellite radio system?

25. garybUK Guest

garybUK

What's Satelite radio? Is it like our DAB Digital Radio?? We get Digital Radio stations through digital cable and digital satelite tv over here.

I can just picture cars with dishes bolted to the roof :)