how'd u turn off the startup noise?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mungo-H, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Mungo-H macrumors newbie

hiya every1. just switched to a mac on thursday and i already waaay prefer it to my pc (but i admit 90% of the reason i got an iMac was cos they look cooler) anyways this is a really dumb question but how do you turn off that sound it plays when it starts up? dunno if it's just mine but it BOOMS out and i was being yelled at from downstairs to shut up! lol

cheers :) stephen

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

before you shut down which you shouldn't have to very often just turn down the volume on your system and the chime can be muted or silent. You can also create an applescript to do this as you logout and shutdown.

3. Mungo-H thread starter macrumors newbie

i do but it still does it, even when i unplug the speakers strangely lol. how'd u do a script thingy?

4. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

plug in a headphone jack, or just cut the plug off an old cord, and that will silence it.

also if your keyboard has a nute key (speaker with no sound waves ) hold that down at startup.

the startup chimes can be a trouble shooting tool, if there is a problem you may get a different startup chime, and that will indicate the problem.

broken glass chime=bad memory IIRC.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm not sure quite what volume you keep your iMac set to, but these three should do the trick. Just run the one called "Set Volume 0" before you shut down, and "Set Volume 5" or "Set Volume 10", depending upon which volume you keep your iMac at when you turn the computer back on.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

forgive me, but why do you need to ever reboot? just put it to sleep when you're not using it, you'll only hear the startup chime for software updates (once a month, maybe)... as was mentioned, it is a troubleshooting tool...

pnw

7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Some people use the ultimate in low power, energy saving features when they're not using their computer and actually turn the thing off!!

:D ;)

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

my computer starts up really slowly like the average osx machine. I aslo notice that if I have a power cord plugged into my iBook when its starting up it goes from orange to green even if the battery isn't charged. I assume that means tos drawing all the pwoer from the cord and bypasses the charging function while its starting up so maybe sleeping saves as much or more than the reboot/keep off combo. Just something to think about.

9. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

man I wonder how much power an iBook uses when it is sleeping?
    what other energy using things are running in your house now?

want to know how to save energy, come to Japan.
    they only heat/cool the room they are in, not the whole house, and some people don't even to that, they put on a sweater, or a house jacket, and sit at a kotatsu ( a table with a heater under it, and a quilted cover around it to keep your feet and legs warm. ) A pentium would keep the room warm.