Howdy...and erm a slight problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HughJ, Feb 21, 2006.

1. HughJ macrumors regular

Howdy, just thought i would say hello, im from the UK been using Macs for about half my life (im currently six years old :D ) only joking i'm a fair bit older than that.

anyway i have a slight problem with OS 10.4, i had been using a JVC Video camera (GR-DVL167ek..or something like that) as a webcam for a number of years under 10.3.9 and below with little or no problems whatsoever, recently (specifically immediatly after upgrading to 10.4.5) the Machine (an FP G4 iMac, 768Mb Ram) simply will not see the video camera when used through either yahoo messenger, iChat and Mercury (MSN clone) although iMove sees the camera straight away

most of the apps inform me that the camera is being used by another application..but its not and to be honest its driving me insane..

i have downloaded various bits of software that claim will work, but nope still nothing.

does anyone have any bright idea's??

i really appreciate any input

Hugh

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Have you looked around for drivers? Perhaps check the JVC website. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Welcome BTW!

3. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

yes i have, the camera is about 3yrs old so no drivers appear to be available, but that said originally under 10.3.9 no drivers where needed anyway, just seems strange that 10.4 wont do anything with the cam at all

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Have you tried (with everything else closed) checking Apps > Utilities > Activity Monitor to see if there are any hidden/system processes running that might be using the camera without you knowing it?

Check also in Sys Prefs > Accounts > Login/Startup Items to see if anything is launching automatically at login that might be doing something similar.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ichat AV only works with firewire cams....is your cam firewire?

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

Works with USB now also. Since the iSight went USB I guess.

7. HughJ thread starter macrumors regular

right got this sorted last night...eventually, suddenly occured to me (after i had a look through Quicktime 7.0.4...which now supports recording video) that quicktime might be causing the problem, and sure enough after retrograding to 7.0.1 it now works fine :D