Howdy Folks - New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fencefixer, Sep 27, 2005.

1. fencefixer macrumors newbie

Just made the switch when I bought a used ibook G3 800 for travel, and I'm glad I did. What a great machine and incredible operating system(Tiger). So much in fact went out two weeks ago and now my wife has switched(ibook G4). Now I need help. I want install a CD-RW/DVD, which I have in my G3 and need to know who might do this in the San Antonio Texas area. Any help. I would tackle it myself, but.......no.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If your wanting to upgrade your iBook and you think that you have the patience, I would suggest first going here--> PBfixIT.com for parts and here-->PbFixit.com Guides for instructions. Select your model and then read the instructions. Print the instructions if you plan to do it your self. [Edit] as of now, they are out of the optical drive your looking for.

You can buy the drives elsewhere, but it's a good place to start. It's a little involved, but it's doable. I suggest buying a spuddger or having an old credit card around to help separate some of the plastic bits with out doing damage to your iBook. I also suggest having plastic painters pallet for water colors to put screws in. They run about a buck-twenty a piece, so if you can buy a few, do so.

Also search for forums for upgrading an ibook.

3. fencefixer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I already have a Apple Sony CD-RW/DVD to install and I may give it a shot. I could only find one place in San Antonio that would even do it, and they charge 150.00 to install. It emphasizes the fact that you should by them the way you want em...upgrades seem difficult beyond memory, aircard ect. I have the instructions and away I go.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

just remember that G3s (and all apple laptops for that matter)
    are HORRIBLE TO OPEN

they have about 18 kajillion screws, and .. hooo boy. just..

they really REALLY don't want you to open that thing up.
    It doesn't mean you can't, but be sure to label each one.
    Don't want any extra screws at the end..

5. fencefixer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks - I plan on taking it slow. Just the instructions can scare ya off, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. Thanks again...might wanna watch ebay for parts for sale. : )

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I won't take apart any laptop (less friends) for less than $150. It is a pain in the ass, and their price sounds fair. I highly recommend getting plastic watercolor pans/dishes. They make the process much better. Get your tools together first, have one of those magnets on a telescoping pole, and you might want to invest in one of those disposable ESD wrist straps. Electronic stores are easy to find in Texas. I really recommend buying at minimum good quality hardened screwdrivers and hex (or torx) tools for your job. Also, if you can find a spuddger, get one.

Here is a link to my thread about replaceing my HD on my 12" PB. Learn from my mistakes.

Plastic pans make for easy screw sorting.

Attached Files:

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome as a switcher fencefixer. ;) I hope that you will be successful. Please let us know how it turns out.