Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
My dock...

I have mine on the bottom, locked to the left side. I prefer this because that way my commonly accessed apps stay where they are instead of having to have a moving target. Hidden docks just drive me crazy.

I do use LaunchBar but I use it in addition to the dock. Notice Mail.app says how many unread emails I have--that's one reason why I have dock on all the time.

I used TinkerTool to put the dock on the left side when it's on the bottom as well.

Attachments

• WillsDock.png
    WillsDock.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 102

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
MacCoaster said:
I do use LaunchBar but I use it in addition to the dock. Notice Mail.app says how many unread emails I have--that's one reason why I have dock on all the time.

Try The Unread it displays current unread mails in the menu bar and allows you to do without the dock.

Attachments

• Menu.jpg
    Menu.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 78

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
baby duck monge said:
not sure, but i think you can actually move it to the top of the screen. and use autohide. but someone with a pc would need to back me up on the first part.

You can...sorry for the sarcasm. And I do have a Win98 PC...I only use it for SPSS though...must find a copy of Mac SPSS... :D

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
UK
MacCoaster said:
What about the iChat unread msgs? Xchat unread msgs? Using ctrl-click on the dock to access useful functionality?

I don't use either of those programs, but I do understand the problem since I use NetNewsReader, for which the dock icon displays a count. I see this info whenever I cmd + tab to switch applications. How important are these counts to you?

With regard to useful functionality available by ctrl-clicking the dock ... I don't belive this is any. Honestly. All these functions can be accessed very easily by other routes.

BTW, I am using my PowerBook without an external mouse, so I want to have maximum accessibility through the keyboard. If I was using a desktop I would probably want find different solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.