Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Utter nonsense. Prove it.

I've simply been disappointed. Just my experience. People rave about the Plus, so it must be better. I have simply noticed that I end up about the same at the end of the day. And to be honest, I haven't had time to use my phone much this week, so you would think it would stay up there.

Maybe as time progresses, I will notice a difference in more heavy-demand settings like GPS. Right now, my phone has just been sitting on the desk, so it's not the best test I suppose.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
The bigger battery in the 6 offsets the better efficiencies of the 6s resulting in equality?
The battery specs in the 6S are better than the 6.. And the size differential is inconsequential. You're the only report so far of worse on 6S than 6. Your testing hasn't been true 1:1 in every detail..

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
The battery specs in the 6S are better than the 6.. And the size differential is inconsequential. You're the only report so far of worse on 6S than 6. Your testing hasn't been true 1:1 in every detail..

I haven't reported anything. I was taking a WAG what the other poster might have been implying. iPhone 6 has 1810 mAh batt and iPhone 6s has 1715 mAh batt. so the 6s has a smaller spec'd batt. ?????

ericgedi77

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Loving the battery life on my 6S compared to my previous 5S.
image.png
image.png

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
How are you even 57 hour standby and still remain at 50+%? :eek:

(Power saving mode?)
I think we're getting trolled on a few of these screenshots. I plugged in my phone an hour ago and the little sentence that says "iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge", in iOS 9 has been moved to the lowest possible line on the screen. This line can't be captured on a screenshot in two of my tests to capture it. So now I'm suspect of a few of the more unbelievable stats we've seen here..

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
After initially restoring my 6s+ from a backup, I decided to erase my iPhone and set it up as new: I did this on the device, not through iTunes. Now, when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, iTunes asks whether I want to set my iPhone up as new or restore it from a backup. I already went through the painstaking process of downloading my apps and getting my settings the way that I want them, passwords set up, etc. Apparently, iTunes won't recognize my iPhone unless I choose one of those two options. I don't want to restore from my backup because I want to see if my battery improves, and I don't want to set up as new because I don't want to go through that laborious process again. If I set up as new, will iTunes erase everything and make me start all over, or will it just recognize my iPhone and keep things the way that they are?

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
After initially restoring my 6s+ from a backup, I decided to erase my iPhone and set it up as new: I did this on the device, not through iTunes. Now, when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, iTunes asks whether I want to set my iPhone up as new or restore it from a backup. I already went through the painstaking process of downloading my apps and getting my settings the way that I want them, passwords set up, etc. Apparently, iTunes won't recognize my iPhone unless I choose one of those two options. I don't want to restore from my backup because I want to see if my battery improves, and I don't want to set up as new because I don't want to go through that laborious process again. If I set up as new, will iTunes erase everything and make me start all over, or will it just recognize my iPhone and keep things the way that they are?
I think setup as new just means you are creating a new profile w itunes so myou can sync and backup. Theyre not gonna wipe ir. Not 100% sure but i think yhats what it is.

Reactions: Pipper99

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Click set up as new. It won't wipe your phone.

Reactions: Pipper99

thatinkjar

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2007
My 6 could achieve about 4 hours 15 minutes screen on time on full brightness while I streamed video and browsed websites.

I'm still breaking in my new 6S (it has only had 2 charges), but battery life looks like it will be pretty similar. I'm currently at 1 hour 56 minutes screen on time and have 56% battery left. When I factor in low power mode, I will probably eclipse the 6.

Although I run at max brightness and I'm constantly using the phone during my testing, I do disable quite a lot of other things like Bluetooth, Handoff, AirDrop, vibration (except for 3D Touch), Push, etc.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
The bigger battery in the 6 offsets the better efficiencies of the 6s resulting in equality?
Yeah what I'm querying is how can you have a better experience on a 6S running ios9 than on a 6 running ios9 when the battery in the 6 is bigger?. I doubt the 6S is more efficient considering it's powering a faster processor. Always on Siri etc. Or have I just answered my own question lol

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Nope. Power saving is off. I've closed off the apps in the background. They did run in the background for a few hours, though. Just FB, Settings, Safari, nothing more than that.

This is the latest screenshot.

View attachment 589467

Just want to make sure, the screenshot means the phone wasn't plug in for the last 67 hours and you only used your phone for 4 hours 51 minutes total in the last 67 hours?

Sorry I've never use that screen so just want to make sure what it means. Thanks.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I had 4hrs 51mins usage. That includes live streaming radio channels via wi-fi this morning.

I have to say that it's way way way better standby mileage than what I had my (now old) 5s.
Ha well my s6 edge died by 4pm everyday before this..this is a dream compared to that

Mine currently 24 hours standby with 10 hours and 30 usage with 15% left..I've never had less than 24 hours standby

cchs2014

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2014
Took it off the charger yesterday at around 2pm, it is now the NEXT day and I am still going.

This is crazyyyy, how did I ever survive with just the battery on the regular 6?

6S+ is great.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 193

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
6s Plus rocks in terms of battery life. I am very, very happy about that! Coming from a Note 4 which I use to have to charge during the day to get through, this is refreshing. Do, kind of miss my Note 4 though... but not that much! LOL

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014

How are you getting such good battery life. Mine is not very good. I have under six hours usage and I'm at 20%.

Are you guys conditioning it by letting it fully discharge? I've heard that is bad for it and Apple no longer recommends it on their website.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Now here's a battery question I'm not as confident about. Is there any reason to worry about keeping your phone on the charger for hours and hours while you sleep? The app Battery Doctor on its readout - after all trickle charging is done after 100% - gives a message - "Fully charged - Please remove from charger to prevent overcharging"..

Most of us charge all night while sleeping. Is that bad?
Battery doctor is bs app. Apple has designed the phone to draw the proper current depending on the charge state of the battery. At 99% it goes into trickle charge, which takes it to 100% and shuts of. It will cycle on and off trickle charging showing 99-100%. This is designed to not harm the battery.

In fact the whole charging regime engineered into the iPhone, takes into account not allowing Li Ion battery to either go under voltage to the damage point, or over charge to damage point. You can use the 5 watt cube that came with the phone or the 12 watt iPad charger. Both are approved, and will not harm the phone.

If you let the phone drain completely to where it shuts off. It is still above any damage point. However if you leave phone this way for months, voltage could drop to damage levels and battery might not take a charge with normal charger. Long term storage is best done at around 60-70 percent.

About only thing that will damage Li Ion batteries is excessive heat, or cold. If an app hangs up and the radios are beaming at high levels, processor cycling at max, phone sits on dashboard of car in sun, those are things that will damage battery.

Realize that when you manufacture millions of devices, their will be defective ones that slip through quality control. So if you have an overheating phone, or one that cannot take a charge, go to Apple Store and have them check it out. We are not dealing with Samsung here, you have a place that will check phone and replace/fix if needed.

Here is what I am seeing for a charge from my 6s Plus, with which I am quite satisfied with.

image.png

Reactions: Zombiecrowd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.