HOWTO: Complete System Backup

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcs37, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

I'm preparing to send my PowerBook back to Apple for repairs ( :( ). The LCD has a slight imperfection that falls under their warranty (which I have for another 6 months or so). So I want to make sure I back up everything because I have EVERYTHING that's important to me on the machine: photos, emails, all my music, etc. I have other PC's but I've come to associate my PowerBook with my digital home, while the other PC's act as file servers and workstations.

Can anyone please send me a URL that details specifically everything I need to do to backup everything (iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, Documents, etc.) in case Apple swaps my machine with another one?

I am the only user of the PowerBook (1.33 GHz, 12.1", Panther) so I was thinking I might just backup my entire home directory onto my file server here and then simply pick out everything I need when I restore my machine in the future. I'm worried about my music though since iTunes has some crazy complicated folder structures (to the uninformed at least). Same for iPhoto. And I haven't a clue where my Mail is stored, but I'm sure it's somewhere in my home directory.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

If you are a .Mac member, you can download Backup, which lets you do exactly what you described. If you're not, I'm sorry but then I cannot help.

3. ollie macrumors member

easy

cp -R / //mywindowsfileserver/macbackup

or something similar. cp --help for info!!

im assuming that mac keeps with the unix style of ".folder" for preferences and such for applications and would keep it in your home folder. i dont really know since apple havnt updated the powerbook line so im macless

hope i help at least a little :rolleyes:

4. mcs37 thread starter macrumors regular

mcs37

Yeah but that seems like a hell of a lot of waste. The actual program files can be re-installed (I have all my purchased serial keys stored in e-mail) on a clean machine but I want to make sure I get all my music, photos, etc.

So I suppose the question becomes: is there anything other than program files that's NOT stored in my Home directory that is particular to my user account that needs to be stored?

Thanks!

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just CCC your drive and worry about it should you need to restore.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out SuperDuper - it's CCC on steroids. You can clone for free.

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

You can start with your user profile directory. The Apple Mail files should be in "/Users/<User>/Library/Mail". You should also back up "/etc", "/Library", and "/System" in addition to any other directories where you may have stored your files. If you have the disk space, simply log in as root and copy the entire hard drive.