HowTo: Install Linux Desktop Environments on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 4, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    If you haven't installed X11 - good, don't
    If you have follow this until you uninstall X11 then get back here.
    If some of you have looked into HowTo: Install Ubuntu on Mac , we've discussed this a lot, so I figure why not make another thread make it easier on you guys.
    1. Download Fink from get your version for your mac. 0.8.0 - Tiger, 0.7.2 - Panther, 0.5.4, Jaguar
    2. Install Fink and copy FinkCommander to your Applications folder.
    3. Open up terminal and type in: sudo pico /sw/etc/fink.conf and look for "Trees". After stable/crypto type in: unstable/main unstable/crypto
    Press CTRL+O, Enter, CTRL+X - to save and exit.
    4. Try running:
    fink selfupdate
    fink index
    fink scanpackages
    I think only one of those worked for me, so you're still good.
    5. Have Terminal opened again and type in: fink install xfree86 [but if that doesn't work try]: sudo apt-get install xfree86
    6. Install whatever window manager you want - let's do KDE cause it looks good (I hope you have high speed internet otherwise this will take a while):
    type in terminal
    sudo apt-get install bundle-kde
    sudo apt-get install kdebase3
    7. Open up XDarwin - that's what fink installed besides apt-get and a lot of others - choose rootless and type in kwin then startkde in the xterm's that are open. If your OS is lower than 10.3.9 - update - as for Tiger I don't know.
    8. It should have worked YAY!
    Optional stuff:
    Here are some other window managers/desktops you can install.
    sudo apt-get install enlightenment
    sudo apt-get install bundle-gnome
    sudo apt-get install icewm
    sudo apt-get install blackbox
    sudo apt-get install fvwm
    sudo apt-get install fvwm95
    Now if you want to run it in a Window - like an 800x600 window see the link I gave the X11 installers. That tells you how to put it in a Window.
    I really honestly believe this is how I installed all of the Window Managers and all that, but if it doesn't work, please post - I can help you as soon as you do.
  2. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    here a pic of me running kicker on my mac, from my linux box ;)

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
  3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Good job. I have KDE as well. I'm posting a screenshot to show you guys what it looks like for mine. Also note, this is my iBook 500MHz, so you don't need a high class system to do / run this stuff either.

Attached Files:

• KDE.jpg
      File size:
      129 KB
  4. redview macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2005
    I just want to point the fact that everything works ok with Apple's X11 1.1.
    I run a kicker on the left side of the screen and with this i start every kde app i want!
    just great!!