Hoya buys Pentax

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oblomow, Dec 22, 2006.

1. oblomow macrumors 68000

Apr 14, 2005
    Just read on severals forums that Hoya (famous for their filters) buys/merges with Pentax and will continue
    under the name Hoya Pentax Corporation. See: http://www.hoya.co.jp/HOYA_DYNAMIC/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.index_e

Although I switched to Canon when I went digitial, I still have a week spot for Pentax. My previous (and first!) SLR was a Pentax ME Super.
  2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    whoa, interesting pair! What else does Hoya make besides filters?
  3. balofagus macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    The entire press release can be read here. Hoya will be the surviving company and Pentax is the merged company. Cost was about $770M. They will operate under the name Hoya Pentax HD.

Apparently Hoya is most interested in Pentax medical stuff, they are one of only three companies that produces and markets endoscopes (little cameras they stick inside you). Pentax Imaging (the camera unit) will continue to operate as it has been.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Cost? Was Pentax bought out, or did Hoya and Pentax actually "merge"? I always thought that Pentax would be bought by Samsung, but oh well.
  5. balofagus macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I believe that Hoya is assimilating Pentax into them, but keeping their name... The share trade is 0.158 Hoyas to 1 Pentax, is that a buyout? I'm glad its an optics company, I don't think that a buyout by Samsung would be a good thing, the technologies partnership is good though I think.
  6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Feb 12, 2006
    Please don't let this change my camera just before I get it.:( Think Pentax's lenses will get better?

Pentax, Pentax, ye hardly knew ye.

I know they'll still be around under the new name, it's just a little too much for me right now.:p
  7. freebooter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Daegu, South Korea
    I think we can expect some interesting new products from Pentax in the future. :)
  8. coldrain macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2006
    Hoya is not unknown to Pentax. One of Hoya's divisions, Tokina, already has worked together with Pentax the last few years, jointly developing new lenses. The Tokina 12-24 f4 and equivalent Pentax lens are a result from this cooperation. Also the new Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 and the Pentax 16-50 f2.8, 50-250mm f4 are coming from this cooperation in lens design.

So... this is a merger that has possibilities, especially when Samsung will be able to develop better sensors than Pentax has available to itself now.
  9. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    wow, at first, I was worried. now that I look into this, it doesn't seem so bad. as long as everything (or at least enough) will work with the K mount system I recently bought into, I'm as happy as a clam!:)