Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feesdt

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Hi everyone,

stumbled upon this forum for installation of my hp 1018. Would be a shame to have to sell it or throw away.

Anyway I was able to find the foomatic and the ghostscript somewhere online. But the foo2zjs dmg file is nowhere to be found on the internet

the linuxfoundation.org link is GONE.

Anyone who can help me. It'd make you a lifesaver ;-)

cheers,

Kevin

kangaryu79

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I too need help w/ HP 1018 on Snow Leopard!

Hi everyone,

stumbled upon this forum for installation of my hp 1018. Would be a shame to have to sell it or throw away.

Anyway I was able to find the foomatic and the ghostscript somewhere online. But the foo2zjs dmg file is nowhere to be found on the internet

the linuxfoundation.org link is GONE.

Anyone who can help me. It'd make you a lifesaver ;-)

cheers,

Kevin

I recently installed Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro and now I am having difficulty getting my HP 1018 working again. Snow Leopard has released HP drivers, but none for 1018 and the others don't seem compatible.

I tried to go back to the thread here when I first installed about a year ago, and those links seem to be gone now. Any help?

thrak09

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
I did it

First of all you should install:

1) Ghostscript
2) Foomatic
3) foo2zjs.dmg

You can find it on this page:

http://www.jasinski.us/2008/05/hp-laserjet-1018-i-mac-os-x/

this site is in Polish but scroll a little bit down and you will see links to those files.

Plug the HP 1018 to the computer. After unzipping foo2zjs you will see "extras" folder. Go there and click "install_printer_extras". You might be asked for the password - write it and click enter.

Go to the system preferences and add new HP printer. When the system finds proper driver go to the foo2zjs folder, find "helpers" folder there. Go there and click on "load_laserjet_firmware_v4" file. And thats it. Should be working now. Remember to install "load_laserjet_firmware_v4" file every time you shut turn your printer on.

if you print something and there is not enough paper, load new set of paper, unplug printer from the computer and plug it in again - the printer should continue to print the rest of the document.

All the bes:)

rlwright

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
re: I did it

thank you for you help thrak09. everything worked well until i got to the "install_printer_extras" section. i keep receiving the following error message:

curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
getweb: Couldn't download http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/firmware/sihp1018.tar.gz
Restarting CUPS daemon

any suggestions on what i might try next?

thank you

Notches

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
OK this worked for me

To Install a HP 1018 in in Snow Leopard

1. Install gplgs-8.64so-ub.dmg
2. Install foomatic-rip-4.0.2.211.dmg
3. Install foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg
4. Create the Printer with the 1018 foo driver

It still won't work yet

check the directory /usr/local/share/foo2zjs/ for a directory called firmware

betcha it isn't there. this is where the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4.command file looks for the firmware to push at the printer.

5. run the script Install_Printer_Extras from the foo2zjs package
Choose option 7 to get firmware for a 1018

Its still not working

check the firmware directory again… the file will be(or was for me): sihp1020.dl - not right the load_firmwarescript uses the number 1018 as a matching parameter when diving through this directory to find a firmware.

I tried this

sudo "cp sihp1020.dl sihp1018.dl"

thinking… maybe its close enough in the family

6. now run load_LaserJet_firmware_v4.command from the foo2jzs package

disco-now I can print

brookjones

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
HP LaserJet 1022, 1.2.0.224 drivers worked for me

I tried using the LaserJet 1015 drivers (from the giant Apple list of printer drivers) with no luck, but then tried "HP LaserJet 1022, 1.2.0.224" and it seems to work just fine. Sweet!

2.4GHz White MacBook running OS X 10.6.4.

lynxinator

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I think found something that works (for me)

Hello, I had a lot of trouble previously getting the HP 1018 printer to work under my Macbook pro. However, after some thorough web combing, I found an easy solution that doesn't involve the terminal.
Here are the instructions;
"Open printing preferences. Add new printer - HP LaserJet 1018. It will ask you to select driver: search for HP LaserJet 1015 and add this printer. Now this will not work, yet.

Open System Update and search for updates. It will find update for HP printing software, install it.

Open printing preferences again. Delete the printer you just added. Now add it again. This time tell it to use printer driver HP LaserJet 1022. After you chose the 1022 driver try and run the Software Update again, install the update; delete the printer again and re add it. Now select the "HP LaserJet 1022, 1.3.0.261""
I modified these slightly to make more sense, and have the correct version numbers.
Here is the original link:
http://blog.ragnarson.com/2010/01/m...howComment=1271820266535#c8803167086828642019
(note that if you decide to use this link you need to follow Anonymous's reply to ABOHASHIM for this to work properly.)
I hope this works for you as it did for me!

Mrfurley

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Thank you Lynxinator

Long time user of this site; first time poster. I just wanted to say thank you to Lynxinator for your instructions on setting up the printer driver for the HP Laserjet 1018. I previously had this printer working, but with the recent upgrade to OS X 10.7 (Lion) I could connect to it (hear it run), but not actually print. Your instructions were easy to follow and immediately fixed the problem. Yeah!

Hello, I had a lot of trouble previously getting the HP 1018 printer to work under my Macbook pro. However, after some thorough web combing, I found an easy solution that doesn't involve the terminal.
Here are the instructions;
"Open printing preferences. Add new printer - HP LaserJet 1018. It will ask you to select driver: search for HP LaserJet 1015 and add this printer. Now this will not work, yet.

Open System Update and search for updates. It will find update for HP printing software, install it.

Open printing preferences again. Delete the printer you just added. Now add it again. This time tell it to use printer driver HP LaserJet 1022. After you chose the 1022 driver try and run the Software Update again, install the update; delete the printer again and re add it. Now select the "HP LaserJet 1022, 1.3.0.261""
I modified these slightly to make more sense, and have the correct version numbers.
Here is the original link:
http://blog.ragnarson.com/2010/01/m...howComment=1271820266535#c8803167086828642019
(note that if you decide to use this link you need to follow Anonymous's reply to ABOHASHIM for this to work properly.)
I hope this works for you as it did for me!

MORTOC

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2016
UK
Thank you Lynxinator

Long time user of this site; first time poster. I just wanted to say thank you to Lynxinator for your instructions on setting up the printer driver for the HP Laserjet 1018. I previously had this printer working, but with the recent upgrade to OS X 10.7 (Lion) I could connect to it (hear it run), but not actually print. Your instructions were easy to follow and immediately fixed the problem. Yeah!
[doublepost=1463420758][/doublepost]Well its 2016 now - and still have a working 1018. In case anyone wants to know the hp driver that works on el Capitan - at least for me is HP Laserjet 1022, 1.6.1 available from HP drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.