HP Adds AirPrint Support to Eight More Printers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted by TUAW, HP this week released a series of firmware updates bringing AirPrint compatibility to eight more printers, offering users of iOS devices running iOS 4.2 or later the ability to wirelessly print directly from their devices.
    Firmware updates are available through HP's support site.

[​IMG]

Apple had initially intended AirPrint to debut late last year as part of iOS 4.2 with support for a wide variety of printers, including the ability to print to printers shared via users' computers. Apple dramatically scaled back the functionality before release, however, and ultimately limited AirPrint compatibility to a handful of compatible printers from HP.

Support for AirPrint has gradually expanded over time, but still remains limited to just 27 HP printer models.

Article Link: HP Adds AirPrint Support to Eight More Printers

2. macrumors demi-god

soco

Sorry if I missed something along the way, but why is HP on top of this? Is there some sort of exclusivity?

3. macrumors member

Some sort of patent if I remember correctly.

4. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I don't know why I can print from my iPhone to an HP LaserJet printer (with no wifi capabilities) connected to my AirPort Extreme.

5. macrumors 6502

thelonelylimo

Apple & HP have been close for years.

6. macrumors 65816

An HP patent?

I remember something about a patent as well. But I've forgotten if it was another company or HP's patent that Apple was infringing upon.

Either way, it's a shame. Hopefully they can one day give the shared printer functionality back to AirPrint.

7. macrumors 65816

kjs862

Would love to have airprint work on my 1320

8. Editor emeritus

longofest

There are some hacks. Not sure if they still work.

9. macrumors 65816

I use printopia to make all my printers work. Works great.

10. macrumors 6502

Because you're printer doesn't support driverless printing.
    And neither do iOS printing drivers for your system exist, nor does Apple facilitate creating any.

But finally we get some affordable laser printers with AirPrint functionality...

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors newbie

lehite

Google "AirPrint Activator". Follow instructions.

13. macrumors 68020

It's HPs patent but the actual process involves PDF conversion so Adobe may be involved as well.
    That's what I heard.

14. macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I hate my HP printer, it's airprint compatible, which I like, but I hate everything else about it. Plus, the door broke off. :eek:

15. macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

16. macrumors 65816

kjs862

17. macrumors 65816

Haha, I've found that HPs printers (at least all the ones I've owned) aren't all that great.

They feel poorly built and they always make really strange sounds as if they're about to fall apart. They all sounded rickety! lol.

Maybe they've improved but next time I buy a printer it's not going to be HP.

Come on Apple! License those HP AirPrint-related patents and re-enable shared printing!
    In the meantime, I'll try that hack.

18. macrumors 6502

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This works great on my canon.

19. macrumors regular

If they're under $100, they're junk. The medium and higher end printers are quite nice.

Yes, it's a Captain Obvious statement but if you want a cheap printer, just avoid an HP.

20. macrumors newbie

Apologies for my ignorance, but what happened to Airprint for other brands like Epson?

21. res1233, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

macrumors 65816

res1233

Both Apple and HP make quality products, as far as HP printers go anyway. I've had two Epson printers, and two HP printers. The first one was an Epson: It died early due to ink clogging the printer heads. Same thing happened with the second one. The first HP we had lasted for what must have been about 6 or 7 years... It still would have been fine, but someone broke the tray. We now have another HP printer, and it has been chugging along just fine for about 2 years with no hiccups. I think HP and Apple fit together quite nicely in terms of product reliability. Now if only Apple would stop offering the mail-in rebate for Epsons...

HP already has something fairly different, but contains some of the tech required for AirPrint, called ePrint in many of their printers, and if I'm not mistaken, the only HP printers that support AirPrint also support ePrint. Support for all printers was supposed to have been introduced via printer sharing from your mac, but that was pulled, so this is all we have for now.

I've always believed in paying a little extra for quality, hence why I own macs. I avoid dirt cheap products because they rarely are any good. You get what you pay for and such.

22. macrumors 65816

Do your HP printers make "it's about to fall apart" sounds? If not, I may reconsider buying one. Though I'll definitely go for a mid-range one and not a cheap one.

Yeah, the "piece of junk" sounds that my HP printers made really bugged me lol. I want a printer that sounds solid :)

23. macrumors member

Wish they would rollout firmware for my 309g, but since they released the 310, my guess is they will not. Helps with the whole planned obsolescence strategy.

24. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some of these printers really do make a mockery of the use of the word 'Pro'...

25. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I really hate to have to say this but ......

There's an App for that

Actually there are several. You just need to set up a companion app on the computer connected to the printer.