Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
It will be interesting to see how this affects the iPod's market share; but more interesting --- has SJ changed his mind about clones and will the results of this if successful influence other things?.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Let's hope Apple worked out a profitable agreement. Last thing I want is for Apple to become another company's Beeootch.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Future of iTunes

I think this is huge for the future of iTMS. But, maybe the "based on Apple's iPod" simply means it will have the capability of playing AAC's with the iTunes DRM. Nothing in the Press Release leads me to believe Apple is designing or manufacturing the player.

I think in the big picture this means Apple is going to let other people make iTunes compatible players. That means Apple must believe iTMS will be a big moneymaker on its own.

In the future, I see a lot of On-line music stores failing. Maybe as they fail Apple will come up with some way to support their players (some sort of firmware upate?). It is going to be interesting.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Wow. This is great news. Even Apple is willing to compromise on coolness to ensure global domination. Nice to see Apple growing up.

powerbookje

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
Belgium
OMG this is a joke?? Maybe Apple will use HP in return to rebadge an iPaq to run a OSX lite version? dream on... :) iNewton? NewtonPaq ?

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by natey
Is Apple trying to hard? This makes it look like they're desperate to get sales.

This is stupid. They didn't need this. Apple'll sell as much iPod, which will somehow get more people to switch. By doing this...this is just stupid!

No way, read my post above! This is not a time to be an Apple purist, but play dirty in the PC world.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
... Meanwhile at sony's, Microsfoft's, Dell's, Napster's, Wallmart's, MTV's, headquarters:

Together: "Oooohhhhh S**t!"

Apple keeps coming up with these great things to keep ahead of the competition. This is a major multi-combo-burn ^_^

I wonder if this is an Apple or HP initiative. Probably HP. Lately's, Apples best publicity is from outiside sources: Virginia Tech, Pepsi, HP.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
At this point hell has frozen over, Phill Parcells is coaching the Cowboys, and I'm waiting for a swarm of locusts...

Who's Phill? :p

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Originally posted by Finiksa
Beige iPod! Now that would be progress ;)

I was a beta tester for the HP iPod. It evidently came from the factory with a variation of the Nimda virus. It e-mailed my songlist to everyone in my address book, then did a denial of service to my OmniBook.
My gut feeling? Bad idea.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
A "re-branded" iPod means the same innards. Since Apple has patents on the solid state wheel (or is it just for the new one the the iPod mini that also has t he click points) it will function the same way. I doubt HP will get the iPod mini anytime soon. It also probably means lower prices for the Apple version although I'll bet Apple will continute to have more HD capacity. Anyway it goes, this is a real bonus to Apple. It wasn't announced at MWSF because HP wanted to announce it at the CES show. A major blow to MS and the other download stores. WOW.. DOUBLE WOW!

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
This announcement is great news for the forces of awesome. I hope it's only the beginning.

Today I was checking out Real's Helix and a thought occurred to me; since Helix is open source (but I can't really tell if the DRM is or not) will Apple add Helix DRM support to the iPod? To me it's a much more interesting, and viable scenario than adding WMA support. It would work directly against the WMA cabal, promote AAC, and sell more iPods.

The down side with this, and with the iPod supporting any other DRM, is that Apple looses some control. Other portables could support Helix, and the Apple no longer has that nice iPod lock-in.

This agreement with HP could be Apple's solution. Don't support other formats - license the iPod and make it look like there's more players that work with iTMS, even though they're basically the same. Not a bad idea since the iPod is the best out there. It's gaining some interesting inroads, like the Alpine head-unit that has an iPod connector.

The next few months are going to be so damn interesting with the HPod, the Pepsi giveaway, the inevitable $50 price drop on the miniPod...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by slowtreme
HOW did this NOT make in into the Keynote? If you wanted WOW factor, there it is.

Believe it or not, there is a show going on right now that is *bigger* than Macworld--it's call the CES, and it's billed as the largest tradeshow in the world. This is probably part of why Macworld seemed so "disappointing"--Apple was saving a lot of its thunder for CES. Hold on to your britches, folks--there may be more to come yet!

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles
Let's hope Apple worked out a profitable agreement. Last thing I want is for Apple to become another company's Beeootch.

I don't think that SJ would ever let that happen.

formatc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2002
The iPod has become a "reference design"

Just like the IBM PC before it, the iPod has become the reference design for a music platform.

old and busted: IBM compatible
new hotness: iPod compatible

I expect this to be a branding effort, because you know it will have to have the screen, wheel, and UI.

It will be an iPod, just with an HP logo. They may even put the logos side-by-side.

natey

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Originally posted by ShadowHunter
Yes, it is being packaged on a PC. Yes, these people aren't using a Mac yet. But its getting the Apple name out there, where people will use it!! This is 100% positive, free advertisement for Apple!!

Why would anyone in the right mind switch when they can use iTunes conveniently on the PC?

eazyway

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
huge for Apple

This is huge news. This means that Apple now has new revenue from iPods from HP plus iTMS may become profitable although there may be a small amount of rev going to HP per song maybe 1 or 2 c per song.

Likely they will come out with a Black version with HP/Compag logo.

They will produce different accesories which could work with the Apple iPod and the larger volumes will no doubt drive the prices down a bit.

I am sure Apple will not care who sells the iPod as long as they sell in large quantities. (there is always good revenue from branding)

Expect HP to get in on the Pepsi deal and now maybe the MacDonald deal will come through and then some.....

Like I said this is huge!! Apple stock is soaring today and so are my options for Jan

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Why would anyone in the right mind switch when they can use iTunes conveniently on the PC?
They'll get a taste of the Mac and come back for more.:)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
HOLY $@(*$
jawdrop.gif

This is big*.

*Note: Post has just been submitted for the understatement of the year award.

mhouse

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2003
North Carolina
Hands Down...Brilliant Move!

My friends and I were discussing this very concept two weeks ago. His point was that Apple would never release a "cheap" iPod...it simply isn't in Apple's DNA to do so. My reply was..."Well, they should let some huge tech firm do it for them. Just license AAC and let the other company sell the commodity players"

This makes perfect sense for Apple...HP covers the 128 mb to 1gb players with the "HPod," and Apple deals in the high-end stuff with the iPod and the mini. Apple continues its dominance of the digital music indsutry and HP gets a much-needed injection of cool.

Excellent work by Steve and Carly!

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno

You're not thinking ahead far enough.

Because when every other part of the PC falls short, and they hear from a cousin of a friend of a daughter etc etc that on the Apple it works better....their mind goes back to their hPod with an Apple logo on it and something clicks to maybe check out the Mac.

Or simply when it comes time to buy a new computer, they consider an Apple because they've been using an iTunes already and liked it, etc etc.

There's an infinite number of scenarios. Don't think in 3 month terms, think in 3 year terms.

PixelArtist

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2001
Is HP and Apple Music Alliance strong enough

I hope that the new HP-Apple alliance will be strong enough to shake loose rights to Beatles music from Sony and Michael Jackson (or whoever owns Michael's portion. Perhaps after a settlement of the Beatles' suit against Apple for breaking the purported Apple no-music business constraint of an earlier settlement over use of the Apple name. Without access to the Beatles catalog, the Apple iTMS has a very large hole. Go Apple!!!!! Go HP!!!

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Frobozz
Well, you're half right, IMHO. Although I agree that Microshaft will give it to you for free... the first couple hits of crack are always free. When you're hooked and cant' turn back, they make you "pay" one way or the other.... hence the situation we currently have in the world with Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, and Windows Media Player. They threaten to cut you off so you're no longer supporting the "number 1" solution that is "mainstream"... and that means you loose sales.

I'd have to say Apple is the same. Free iTools. Pay for .mac. Free iLife apps. Now pay for them when we're hooked.

Anyway, a great arrangement for Apple and HP! Take that Dell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.