Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I'm trying to set up my Mac Mini to print to the HP Deskjet 9650 printer that I have connected to a Windows XP machine. I have another printer also shared (a Brother DCP-1000), and I was able to connect and print just fine.

I can see the shared printer name, and select it. However, the drop down menu for selecting the HP printer does not have my printer on it. Quite frankly, it seems that many HP printers are missing from the list.

I went to the HP website, and it says that for Tiger, all HP printers are supported natively. However, this definitely isn't the case.

I've tried searching everywhere for this problem, but I guess I don't know the right terms to search for.

Has anyone run across this issue? If I connected the printer directly, would it "magically" find the correct drivers?

Thanks,

-Curt

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Seriously, does anyone have any tips for me on getting the right driver for this printer?

It is an 13x19 format printer, so the driver would need to be able to address those formats.

Why is printer support so bad in OS X?

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Is there a better forum out there to get answers to questions? This lack of a response is pretty disappointing.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Seriously, does anyone have any tips for me on getting the right driver for this printer?

It is an 13x19 format printer, so the driver would need to be able to address those formats.

Why is printer support so bad in OS X?

Have you installed the printer drivers? If it is an old printer then I would try Here

clindner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
So, is there a HOW-TO or something regarding installing Linux print drivers in OS X? My printer is listed in the database you pointed me to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.