HP Display help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mgs4, Oct 1, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

mgs4

Hi all,

I recently bought an HP2311x 23inch LED monitor and i'm planning to hook up my macbook air to it. The monitor has hdmi, vga and dvi. I would be extremely grateful if somebody were to tell me which connection would be more suitable, and which specific cables i'd need.

Thanks a lot in advance,

MGS4 (Ralph)

2. Guest

eric/

DVI imo. No need for the expensive HDMI cable since you won't be running sound to the monitor.

3. macrumors member

iApple Mania

You need "Mini Display Port to HDMI" adapter and "HDMI to HDMI" cable.

PS,
    "mini display port" plug in at "thunderbolt port"

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 6502a

Hi Ralph,

Honestly, it does not matter whether you decide to go with HDMI or DVI; they both are digital connections and both are equivalent. Honestly, I would go with whichever one is cheaper for you. With most monitors, a DVI cable is usually included (its the cable with the broad white connectors), and so going with DVI will probably save you a little money. You will need the DVI cable as well as a mini display port to DVI adapter. Monoprice is a great source for cheap and great quality cables. The Mini Display Port/Thunderbolt to DVI adapter only costs 6.65 at Monprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

Compare this with the $29 that Apple charges for what is essentially the same adapter.

Cheers!

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

mgs4

Thanks guys, and Aboo, i only just realized the monitor came with a dvi cable lol, so i'll just buy the mini display port to dvi and it should work fine. i never even realized the thunderbolt port and MDP cable worked together :rolleyes:
    cheersx

6. Guest

eric/

7. macrumors 603

Just a thought... If you go with a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter you can use it both with the monitor and also with an HDTV.

Good HDMI cables are cheap at monoprice.com