Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
engadget just did a review for it: Got an 8/10. (know it doesn't mean anything but the air 11" got a 7/10)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/hp-pavilion-dm1z-with-amd-fusion-review/

main selling point for me is that it's $450. I'm okay with both windows 7 and osx.

you guys think it's a good buy?

I plan on getting the mbp 13" when it gets updated but I also wanted a 11" machine to use at home for browsing and watching videos. Gonna give it to my sister when I get the mbp. I was planning on getting the air 11" because it's a sexy little machine but now I'm thinking it's a stupid buy because I'm gonna get the mbp 13" too.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
The MBA is better in just about every way, but if this is also very very good, and it costs less than half as much.

If you are buying the MBP13 later on, then just settle with the HP.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Is it from the 90's?
it's .8"-1.2" thick. I wish it was thinner :p
The MBA is better in just about every way, but if this is also very very good, and it costs less than half as much.

If you are buying the MBP13 later on, then just settle with the HP.

yeah that's what I was thinking. I heard asus is releasing something from their eee pc line in a few weeks so maybe I'll wait and see what else low priced goodies I can get.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
There will also be a thinkpad with a Fusion APU. That's probably what I would get.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
There's little doubt the MBA is a better machine, but the cheapest MBA comes it at twice the cost so that's not exactly surprising.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Slightly OT, but these Fusion chips do look pretty impressive. Given Apple's past decisions to emphasize graphics performance over CPU performance (namely, their decision to stick with the Core 2 Duo rather than use the Arrandale integrated graphics), might the idea of an AMD-equipped MacBook Air not be so far -fetched?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Why would you want to suffer with a HP machine?

If you are looking for something to pass the time before the new 13" machines, why not just shoot your self in the foot.

It wouldn't be as painful as working with a HP.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
powerful as the fusion is, its only slightly above netbook standard... i saw in 3Dmark the APU got 1.8k and in this review its said that it can only play 720p.. hmmmm compared to 4.8k for MBA

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
powerful as the fusion is, its only slightly above netbook standard... i saw in 3Dmark the APU got 1.8k and in this review its said that it can only play 720p.. hmmmm compared to 4.8k for MBA

The Engadget review gave the HP a score of 2213 on the 3DMark and supposedly it is capable of 1080p (though the screen is 720p, like the 11" MacBook Airs). It's still well shy of a current MacBook Air, but might other AMD chips be capable of putting out similar numbers?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
In synthetic bench marks the HP DM1z did just as good as the 11.6in Air in many tests. It most likely would have done better those synthetic benchmarks if the HP had an SSD or if the Air came with a HDD. Really doesn't mean that much these tests, but it does give a little idea of how much better it could be vs your average netbook.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-news-reviews/547661-hp-pavilion-dm1z-review-discussion.html
nice to hear. I think I'll go with the dm1z than.
That's something you need to consider, while Apple's MBA is nice, you can get a slightly uglier machine for 1/2 the price.
it's not slightly uglier, it's a lot lol.

mba is beautiful, dm1z is just nice...
There is one main problem with it.

Windows!

I like Windows!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I run both systems, there's nothing wrong with Windows, at least nothing wrong with Windows 7. Vista was/is trash. As long as you're savvy enough to keep from getting infected with spyware/viruses and trojens, Win7 is just as fast and stable as OSX.

tanbo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
MBA vs HP DM1Z

engadget just did a review for it: Got an 8/10. (know it doesn't mean anything but the air 11" got a 7/10)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/hp-pavilion-dm1z-with-amd-fusion-review/

main selling point for me is that it's $450. I'm okay with both windows 7 and osx.

you guys think it's a good buy?

I plan on getting the mbp 13" when it gets updated but I also wanted a 11" machine to use at home for browsing and watching videos. Gonna give it to my sister when I get the mbp. I was planning on getting the air 11" because it's a sexy little machine but now I'm thinking it's a stupid buy because I'm gonna get the mbp 13" too.

I'm in the same situation - I was seriously considering the MBA 11" but then this little thing came along and now I am reconsidering. Sure the MBA is lighter and thinner, but not really by that much to make a significant difference in day to day use.
I already have a mac mini as my desktop which I enjoy using, I use my laptop for work and unfortunately some of the sites I have to use (like Hospital based EMR systems) are entirely Explorer dependent.

Otherwise, I am really OS agnostic when it comes to desktops and laptops. Once you open the browser, or are using Word, it doesn't make a difference what the OS is (whereas with mobile devices such as phones and tablets - it's iOS for me all the way).

For the price, it's hard to beat the DM1Z, and I'd go so far as to say that it could be a MBA 11" killer (not sure why the Samsung 9 is referred to as one - how do you "kill" something when you are priced exactly the same as it?). Remember you are also getting a starter (not trial) version of Word and Excel which is probably sufficient for most people - for the MBA you'd have to spend another $119 and purchase Office. And that battery life appears to actually be slightly BETTER than the MBA.

So if you are going to get a MBP later on anyhow and you want something lighter and portable to carry around, I think the new DM1Z is a good choice.

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
People actually buy computers based on resale value???

Yup. I never own a computer longer than a year, sometimes even just a couple months. Resale on Apple products is ridiculously good, their PC equivalents not so much. Resale is a big deal to me.

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
AMD Fusion is better than an Atom, for most things. There's a couple of benchmarks where the Atom can win, but very few. But the Atom is a lot less powerful than the MBA's C2D.

It also has a nice on chip GPU that's not as good the MBA's.

The screen won't be as good (I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet) and the HDD isn't SSD.

Half the price, for half the computer. Not bad, if it had SSD I'd be interested if I was feeling stingy.

When Llano (Fusion's big brother) comes out, then I'll be more interested. I really don't care about Atom killers, and that's what the Fusion is.

Mind you, it's great that netbooks will finally be usable.

Last edited:

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
AMD Fusion is better than an Atom, for most things. There's a couple of benchmarks where the Atom can win, but very few. But the Atom is a lot less powerful than the MBA's C2D.

It also has a nice on chip GPU that's not as good the MBA's.

The screen won't be as good (I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet) and the HDD isn't SSD.

Half the price, for half the computer. Not bad, if it had SSD I'd be interested if I was feeling stingy.

When Llano (Fusion's big brother) comes out, then I'll be more interested. I really don't care about Atom killers, and that's what the Fusion is.

Mind you, it's great that netbooks will finally be usable.

the air murders the dm1z in looks but I don't think it's half the machine in performance. the air is superior but the hp isn't far behind. I only wish the damn thing was thinner :p

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
the air murders the dm1z in looks but I don't think it's half the machine in performance. the air is superior but the hp isn't far behind. I only wish the damn thing was thinner :p
Yeah, it's slow, but not half as slow as a C2D. The Atom would be half the machine, or 1/20th if you look at graphics.

I'd say at worst, 1/2 the machine, but possibly 2/3 the machine. But it's really hard to compare.

I'm going off a review here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4023/the-brazos-performance-preview-amd-e350-benchmarked/3
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4023/the-brazos-performance-preview-amd-e350-benchmarked/5

Basically, Zacate is a bit better than Atom, which is a lot worse than a C2D. Though the 1.4Ghz is a pretty bad C2D.

Also, the GPU on Zacate is fantastic for on-chip (better than Intel's new high-end HD I think), but not nearly as good as an nVidia 320M.

The clincher is the SSD. Chips, even low end chips like Atom, Zacate, and slow C2Ds are almost fast enough. But hard drives are painfully slow. SSD is a no-brainer on any system. If you want to look at a non-MBA laptop, factor in the cost of upgrading the HDD.

Given the low costs of the systems, a hundred dollars or so for an SSD upgrade is a big factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.