HP gives Dell the cold shoulder

Discussion in 'Community' started by spinner, Jul 28, 2002.

1. spinner macrumors regular

I received an interesting email with the following text and link. Thought that I would share.

Hewlett-Packard plans to stop supplying printers, cameras and scanners to Dell Computer, citing that company's intention to enter the printer business. An HP representative said Dell's business represented an "insignificant" portion of HP's total printing and imaging business, equal to only a few days' sales per year. Dell currently offers HP's printers, scanners and digital cameras as well as its Jornada handhelds for sale on the Dell Web site.

It has been widely speculated that Dell is planning to enter the printer business, although the company has not laid out its plans. A Dell representative said the company was surprised by HP's move: "We're befuddled that the mere possibility of us entering the printer business would make them so nervous."

Read the whole story here.

I especially like the part about Dell being "insignificant" :D

2. daRAT macrumors regular

I saw this on www.geek.com, and I am thinking that Dell needs to fire that executive, Dell doesn't have any of thier hardware thats going to replace the HP stuff ready.

HP is ticked, you can tell by the wording. Dell may think they are big, but HP could roll over them without even noticing.

3. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Oh...you mean Hewlett Packard? The company that just merged with Compaq and no reputable analyst expects either company to survive? I doubt they could "roll over them without even noticing." :rolleyes:

This decision has more to do with the Compaq merger than anything Dell is doing.

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

dell making printers is like *thinks*... microsoft making their own puters..they'dd suck at it ;)

5. daRAT macrumors regular

These the same analyst who said buy Enron perchance? Pleaseeee! HP (yes that mean Hewlett Packard), so deversified, (Defense, plotters, printers, servers, networking, calculators, etc) that for them to go under they would have to do an "Enron":rolleyes:

When HP mergered with Compaq one of these Analyst likened it to a Mac Truck (HP) hitting a Yugo (Compaq).

I can agree with you on the triad of Dell + Compaq + HP, but I think it is even more than that. Stuff we do not know about yet.

I think most people would rather buy thier printer afterward, to get the best quality vs money. Most of those "bundled" with a lower end pc (600$ to 1000$) are not much good.

You know HP once said they could give thier printers away, they make the money on the cartiages. I know about that, I have to order the damn things for a dozen HP's in the office:D

This anit a flame, I would like to see the article where you got that info about the companies stablity.:cool:

6. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The problem is, HP has much more overhead than Dell. Dell can squeeze HP out of the PC market through charging less for their products by virtue of their more efficient direct marketing model any day. They also have better tech support while HP is still trying to integrate Compaq into its fray. All I see is HP shriveling up while Dell continues to rampage through market, destroying everything in its path (except Apple).
    HP is one case where the sum is not greater than the parts.

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Definitely because of Compaq

My reasoning: HP still made Mac compatible printers (which were occasionally part of a Performa bundle) back when Apple was making printers.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Gotta get me one of them there new Dell printers, the old one is really getting a little old and is falling apart.

And the worst part is that old printer has lost so many parts it no longer holds the door open, hopefully I can get a new Dell to take it's place - after all in a Mac office that's all Dells are good for, doorstop duty.

Actually those HP Laserjet printers with Postscript and ethernet card are tanks, ours is just starting to break-in with 120,000 pages run through it.

Dell isn't going to build anything printer related, they'll just do the same thing Apple did with the last generations of inkjets -- have a new plastic panel made with their name on it, and put it in a Dell box with a Dell paperwork.

But Dell will do one thing Apple never did with their printers - buy them from the lowest bidder, and support them from the offices of the lowest bidding company.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

When I used to deal with a Dell rep. on the phone, he seemed more than pleased to steer me away from any HP products and on to anything else.

Perhaps Michael Dell likes HP as much as Apple but tolerates HP because they sell Windows-based computers.

It could be interesting with Dell pushing harder into bigger server area, which is already Compaq and HP territory.

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thats funny, it will be interesting to see what Dell replaces the HP printers with. Personally I hate HPs computers but their printers are very good and I use one with my iMac, I must say my deskjet 960c prints very nice photos.
    If Dell does start making printers they are gonna really suck, then they will give up and just stick to computers.
    (My Apple Color style writer 2500 still works after 7 years:D

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

If you think that's good, My Apple Stylewriter I worked until a year ago. It lasted 10 years.

12. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

In late breaking news Dell COMPUTER just anounced today that they are going to start making cars.... What the hell dell cant make printers the people who make printers make printers,,,, dell has other thinks to worry about.LIKE MAKING A COMPUTER that does more than siit there and look ugly....Apple tried to make printers and well..............yea.....i like my cannon:) better name:D ..... look what happeed when microsuck tried making gaming councilers there loosing what 2bil a year on that thing.....plus printers would add to dells now non-existant R and D department... i dont think there ready for that cost.... i dought we will see dell get anywhere with printers and they wil be regretting looking HP... but i could be wrong

pat

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

About time somebody tried bringing back the Yugo, with Daewoo North America dissolving as we speak somebody has to be the whipping boy of the auto industry here in the US.

If anybody could outdo Yugo, it would be someone following the Dell model.