HP iPod, Mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vniow, Sep 25, 2004.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I did a quick search for this and nothing came up. Everyhting I've seen for the HP iPods says they're made for a PC, I don't see anything on Mac compatibility at all. Does anyone know for sure if they are or aren't Mac compatible, despite what the box says?
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Hey vniow -
    The hPod is pretty much identical to Apple's iPod, and will work on a Mac even if it's currently PC-formatted. Apple iPods work the same way. The only reason not to get an hPod if you're a Mac user is lack of technical support.
  3. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    If you're a mac person you might as well just get an iPod. Unless of course you can find an hPod cheaper somewhere.
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I think there was a sale on HP iPods... like $30 off or something.
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Another reason to get the hPod.

Due to Apple's retail stores, you may have to pay sales tax from Apple if they've been kind enough to open one in your state. Unless HP has a store in your state, you won't have to pay sales tax to them.
  6. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I read somewhere (might've been AppleTurns) that, like wrldwzrd said, the hPod has bad technical support for Macs. But if you aren't going to be calling in with questions about it that directly relate to your Mac or software in some way, then it doesn't really matter, I guess.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Actually, Apple has to charge sales tax in every state that has it whether they have a retail store or not. They have since before there were retail stores because technically they do business in every state. If you buy from someone else, you have to pay tax on whatever state they have a presence in. HP probably charges tax for every state that has a tax as well. Technically, even if you don't have to pay tax when you buy something, you are supposed to report it later, but most people don't for smaller purchases.

The hPod works with a Mac fine. It's the same thing as the iPod (just with an HP logo on the back). It's just not supported by HP for Mac use. They could help you if it breaks, but they just aren't trained much for Macs. If you want to buy one, get this. It's an extra 3 years warranty and only $40. Just come to us if there is a Mac related problem, becauses HP probably couldn't help you.

Apple might be kind enough to though.