HP iPod???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Aperture, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hey Guys. Is it just me or a while ago did HP market iPods? I am so curious about this as I was just thinking about how they got permission from Apple. How did this all work out?

Kevin

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_HP

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

HP was allowed to brand some iPods w/ their logo (as listed on that wiki page). These HP-branded iPods were then sold in more retail areas and apparently, made up 5% of Apple's iPod sales.

5. imacintel macrumors 68000

At my local Staples BD, they still had a hPod mini. IT was white, pretty much a iPod mini with HP branding. I still can't believe they have one for sale though.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but none of the minis were white. :confused: :eek:

7. imacintel macrumors 68000

:rolleyes:
    WHA??

The floor model hPod Mini was...

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah the 1st gen iPod Minis came in Green, Gold, Blue, Pink, and Silver, the second gen came in Green, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

so i don't know what you saw... :rolleyes:

9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Bloody Staples, always giving away upcoming apple products. they're done with the nano, and going back to the mini. And to smooth the transition a bit, they're including a white one. I'd go buy it, its pre-release. you'd get a good few bucks on ebay.

alert! the preceding was sarcastic

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

the whole HP iPod thing was just kinda weird IMO. It was the exact same iPods, made in the same factory, just with an HP logo and a different box.
    I really don't understand why apple did, nor why HP bombed with it.

11. Timepass macrumors 65816

It wasnt HP fault on bombing it. The blame falls on apple. Apple started releasing new better iPods for the same price and then not keep HP iPods on the older models and not allowing them to move up to the new ones for a while. HP did not like that at all and start demanding rightfully so to be allowing to see the newest ones.

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Because it bundled iTunes on a large number of consumer-level PCs and pushed the iPod into more retail outlets. To sell an HP iPod, I don't think a shop had to be Apple-certified, though I could be mistaken on that. HP did it because they received a small slice of the explosive iPod pie.

In the end, Apple gained far more from the deal than vice versa. That, combined with being steadfastly denied updates to the iPod line, is part of the reason why HP stopped shipping them. Of course, I'm sure the politics were far more nuanced than that, but I believe that's the deal in a nutshell.

13. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I think it was what HP wanted in return for bundling iTunes with PC's.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A lot of things happened and the deal with iPod ended after Carly Fiorina left HP.

Still, I'm happy with mine since I got a 10 % discount on a 40 GB monochrome model and Apple never discounts any of them, though they have their one night sales.

Even HP's tech support were very good with supplying an answer to a problem I was having, though they'd probably had a problem with helping me since I had reformatted to HFS+ and used it with a Mac.

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

It mus of been silver. I am probably color blind.