HP laptop running OS X "Leopard"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickelbackmac, Jun 27, 2006.

1. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

I have a friend named Kim who has had an HP laptop for about a year, and said she has had NO problems with it yet. When "Leopard" releases, I will buy a copy from Apple and install it on my MBP 17" and PB 17". Since I read that HP is rated "The best computer producing company ever", although they are 2nd best, next to Apple :p . Should I buy an HP 17" (I'm into the big screens), fully loaded and put "Leopard" on it. Let me re-word that: Will it work with HP?

2. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Extra Double No. And Dick Cheney, Steve Ballmer, The Ghost of John Ashcroft, and a team of BSA Ninjas have been dispatched to the residence listed by your ISP... you don't use a WAP, do you?

3. savar macrumors 68000

savar

To clarify: not in any legal or easy way.

4. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

There are some hacks that would allow this, but I'm pretty sure you would break some type of license agreement.
    Maybe MS will release some type of "bootcamp" for Vista, that would allow for installing OS X. ( i really doubt that though)

5. nickelbackmac thread starter macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

OK, and to add to it: Thanks. I made the right and smart decision and bought a new fully loaded iMac for the family.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yep.

Current EULA for Tiger reads:

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

So you better do a darn good job at putting that sticker on the back of the HP laptop!! :p

8. sk1985 macrumors regular

Putting OSX on a non-liscenced apple product is kind of illegal. It's your risk bro. Also HP's aren't that great. One of my HP desktops had it's motherboard, modem, HD, and fans replaced several times. It became such a large problem that HP had to send me a new computer. It too broke down a billion times. I seriously got 2 brand new computers from them. My AMD powerd HP ran flawlessly to it's credit. My brother then bought an HP laptop with a top of the line AMD chip set in it. That laptop broke down several times within his first month of ownership. He returned that laptop twice before buying a 12 inch PB. HP's imo aren't all that reliable. Also why would you install OSX on a HP laptop when you already own two macs? That seems kind of wacky to me.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is that why they include the white apple stickers with most products?

j/k unless something radical happens, Leopard will only run without hacking, in Apple branded compters?

B

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

HPs are some of the most reliable and quality pre-builts on the market IMO.

They use quality parts like Coolermaster fans, Asus mobos, and WD or Maxtor HDs, with Micron/Crucial/Infinieon RAM.

Hell, my 5 year old Pentium III based HP lappy is still chugging along happily, and is still snappy.

11. Rare macrumors member

Rare

Never use Maxtor in the same post as the following words:
    • Reliable
    • Quality
    • Redundant
    • Happy

:mad:

While they may be the cheapest brand - they are the most unreliable. I have built PCs for 10 clients recently (Within the past 3 months) - all with Maxtors - 2 had S.M.A.R.T failure, 3 randomly decide to shut down, 5 have just totally died. I put 2 RAID arrays within a small server for my office - out of the 6 hard drives - 3 had to be RMA'ed because they kept shutting down and breaking the RAID arrays.

We have moved to WD (Best for speed and reliability) and Samsung (Best for silence) now, and no problems what-so-ever.

I must say though - HP are much much better than Dell at supplying quality computers, imo.

Also Maxtor are now owned by Seagate - so hopefully Maxtor will be sorted out.

12. zevilgenius macrumors newbie

One Reason...

I've considered installing OSX on HP laptops because Mac doesn't offer as many nifty features. For example, my macbook only offers 2 USB ports. What if I want more, and on opposite sides of the computer? I use an external card reader, I don't want to carry it with me. Most HP laptops have card readers built in. Lastly, I'm a sucker for tablet PCs. I know leopard has some functionality for that because a new icon in my preferences appear when I plug in my tablet. Anyway... until apple decides to offer a little more to appeal to everyone, they aren't going to sell as many computers as they want. People are different. Some like the sleek and simple look of the macbook. Others want more in a laptop, and I think an Apple Tablet would be awesome, but I can't justify that they would charge twice what anyone else would charge for the same hardware :mad:

That's my two cents...

13. California macrumors 68040

California

Uh. This thread is a year and a half old. I don't understand your point in resurrecting it? What are you trying to say? that you need more usb ports or something? Do you understand the superiority of OSX and why it doesn't work with windoze machines?

14. iCreate macrumors member

Can't argue with HP build quality and options. I had an HP DV series Centrino that was the best Windows laptop I ever purchased.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are some newer threads that cover Leopard on more questionable hardware.

Instead of digging this old thread up you might have been better served by a newer one.

16. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'll definitely agree with this post. I've had almost every Maxtor I've ever owned die within two years of relatively light use.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Setting aside the legality issue for a moment, it just isn't worth installing (or trying to install) OS X on 99% of the PC notebooks out there. The compatibility issues are so widespread that you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least two or three major functions missing in a given computer unless you plan ahead and read reviews of people who've tried it with a particular machine. And even then, on "compatible" machines, you often have to download various patches, use external components for setup (ethernet cards, keyboards, monitors), if not for daily use, and in general, deal with an unreliable combination of software and hardware. I'm a long time Windows user and fond of tweaking my gear, but as someone who has tried OSx86 myself, I'll wholeheartedly say it isn't worth the time or trouble. Instead of buying a PC and hoping to install OS X on it, save the money for a refurbished/used/new Macbook/Mini/iMac/etc. If that's too expensive, try a G3 or G4 iBook; I scored one for $200 on Craigslist, and a few weeks of using it showed me I could get the hang of the OS full time. Either option will be infinitely more satisfying (and productive) than wasting endless hours trying to figure out why your sound/wireless/ethernet/card reader/etc isn't working on your Hackintosh.

18. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Up until my problematic new Vista powered laptop... *sigh* ... I've alwasy had HP's. They have always lasted the test of time... Infact, i've always taken them apart and re-built them before they ever stopped working. Some I've had for 7 + years a piece. If it wasn't for OSX , i'd have one right now.

Ang

19. mmark macrumors newbie

dont confidently say no, because

i know at least two people who have bought hp laptops instead of macbooks for cheaper/better specs and installed apple firmware fine on it.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree with this. About 3 years ago HPs were great but this past year and a half they really went down hill as far as manufacturing. I used to never get an HP in for repair, now its almost all I get. They all have the same problems too. Mostly motherboards, harddrives, and cd trays I see go bad on them. I bought an HP back in October because I figured people were just abusing their computers and that my computers never had problems. Boy was I wrong. It was the 2nd worst computer I ever owned (and my ownership count is somewhere in the teens).

I am glad I bought the HP though even though it was crap because one day at work I held it up in the air, asked who wanted it for $500, sold it and bought my first mac :D

21. NEiMac macrumors regular

I used to be a fan of HP too, sad to here they have gone downhill in quality. My uncle has been having nothing but problems with them lately too. I didn't leave HP because of bad hardware though, I was just tired of windows and needed something a bit more then Linux could offer, trying to get by on opensource software alone kinda sucks. My HP was getting old and out of date too.