hp laserJet 1000 printer-Mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Daveman Deluxe, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Is the hp laserJet 1000 printer Mac-compatible or not? hp's website says it isn't, but I've heard from other sources that there's a third-party driver for it? Anybody know what's up with that? If I can use it with my iBook, I'll probably buy it.

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

the question of mac-compatible is relative - it's probably not compatible with OS9 unless HP provides a driver for it, but it may well print in OSX using CUPS or GIMP-Print. A little googling on it probably wouldn't hurt.

But question - why that model? HP makes lots of printers that work with macs flawlessly...

3. morlium macrumors regular

The HP LaserJet 1000 uses a newfangled serial/USB cable that is not Mac-compatible.

4. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Because I can get one for $150 at OfficeMax. The next best deal is $400 or so.

Damn. Why isn't it compatible?

5. morlium macrumors regular

as far as inexpensive laser printers go, this deal can't be beat.

6. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Thanks. I think I'll ask dad to get it for me for Christmas and to hold onto it until then.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It won't work well, if it works at all. We bought one at work awhile ago and it wouldn't even work for the Windows machines. Maybe we got a bad one, but we sent it back and bought a Samsung instead. It was only $178 at Fry's (with tax) and had native Mac support. Don't remember the model, but I think you can find it, or a Brother, or a Xerox, for around $200 that would work. But for $200, you could just buy a nice, fast, color inkjet.

Here's a link for the Samsung, right on the front page:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34089

8. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm getting a laser printer so I can get rid of my color inkjet. I'm tired of clogged nozzles and spending all of my money on consumables. I don't need to print color photos because I always send those to a service anyway.

Thanks for the input on laser printers, all.

9. wirewyrm macrumors newbie

I work at a retailer in the UK and we just had a Samsung come in for £99. Thats about $150-$160 on exchange rate. (Probably even less over in the US then). Otherwise Brother Lasers have GREAT Mac Support, some are even in the OS itself!!

10. MACDog macrumors newbie

HP LaserJet 1000 will work on MAC OS10

Hi there, I'm a total novice as far as MACs are concerned, but I found a third party driver for the the hp laserjet 100o that makes work on my iMac G5. Check out the link below:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004061623340681

and follow the instructions that come with the installation. After you downloaded the installer, make sure you select "ESP" as the printer model and not "HP" and "Zenographics SDK Mono" CUPS v1.1" before you click the "Add" button.

It works perfectly for me and I was even able to network the printer that way. I hope this helps.

11. gbnyc macrumors newbie

Driver has moved again

As of today, Zenographics no longer provides this driver on their site (and a phone call to them confirmed that it's not there and they don't know if/when it will be again).

I have found it, however, at another site: http://www.shoutnet.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=2
    Or, the direct link to the driver itself: http://www.shoutnet.net/images/stories/SDKMono.dmg

I will email HP again to complain that they have not released a Mac driver for the Laserjet 1000, but in the meantime it seems to me that this driver works flawlessly.

12. latinware macrumors newbie

HP Lasejet 1000

It worked perfect, just make sure you follow the rules for installation. Thanks! :)