HP LaserJet 1012 isn't work (shared from Windows XP)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xeronine, Mar 18, 2006.

1. xeronine macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Having trouble with a printer shared from an XP machine.. I can connect to it just fine, but when I select HP from the list of printers, it doesn't have an HP LaserJet 1012, or 1010. I installed the software from HP just fine and it works connected directly via USB, but when I try and add it as a network printer it's not working.

Does anyone know where I can locate the 1010/1012 driver from on my computer? Obviously it's on here somewhere but I haven't the slightest clue where it might be hiding. Thanks for any help!

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you've installed the OS X drivers for that particular printer, just select the model from the list when you go to add a Windows shared printer. The printer models list doesn't change based on whether it's connected locally or not, so if you can select it when it's connected via USB, you should also be able to select it when it's connected via the network. Make sure that there aren't two HP lists in your printer drivers--sometimes that happens.

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    i have the same problem, and i have found no solution yet.... if you make it work, let me know. I know the file needed is a printer discription file.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Perhaps, this will help.

5. jkballer23 macrumors member

you can get the driver you need, plus a lot more here:

HP Drivers

6. xeronine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! This has solved my problem!

Thanks to everyone else who responsed too, I appreciate it

7. macsawyer macrumors newbie

According to Apple, the 1010/1012/... drivers are not "modern drivers", which they describe as "Drivers that are denoted on the list as a Modern Driver are PPD files or drivers designed for CUPS (printing architecture available in Mac OS X 10.2 and later). Drivers that are not denoted as Modern Drivers cannot be selected when adding an IP printer or Windows shared printer." Here is the apple article.

i.e. HP's open source drivers are the only legit drivers that are capable of working with this printer across the network.