Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAVE2158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
new york
I need some help I have a HP Laserjet P4 that I have tryed to hook up to my mac. I am running OS X the mac see it but it say's theres no drivers. I've been to hp's web site there seems to be no drivers for the mac. I have looked around the internet and nothing. is there some kind of work around or is there a place where I can download the drivers.
any help would do thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DAVE2158 said:
I need some help I have a HP Laserjet P4 that I have tryed to hook up to my mac. I am running OS X the mac see it but it say's theres no drivers. I've been to hp's web site there seems to be no drivers for the mac. I have looked around the internet and nothing. is there some kind of work around or is there a place where I can download the drivers.
any help would do thanks.
If by "HP Laserjet P4," you mean HP LaserJet 4P, it is supported by CUPS. All you have to do is to download and install GIMP-print. It is available at the GIMP-print download site.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
That printer should work. The drivers should already be there. How is this printer connected to the Mac? Etherent? USB? If its using the old Serial Ports then you'll need to use an adapter as OS X doesn't support the old round serial ports. Keyspan makes a Serial to USB adapter ($79 appox) if this is the case.

If you can choose from a list you should be able to find your model, or a very similar model to it and it should work. Even an HP LaserJet 4 driver should work just fine.

Also, if you're using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) install the Gimp Printer Drivers off either the 2nd or 3rd OS X.3 CD and see if there's a UNIX driver that will work.

DAVE2158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
new york
HP Laserjet Drivers

Thanks for the help People. The printer is hooked up with usb to parallel cable from belkin. I will Check the disk for Gimp Printer Drivers or just go to the web site and download them. Well thanks again I keep you posted ... :p

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mklos said:
That printer should work. The drivers should already be there. How is this printer connected to the Mac? Etherent? USB? If its using the old Serial Ports then you'll need to use an adapter as OS X doesn't support the old round serial ports. Keyspan makes a Serial to USB adapter ($79 appox) if this is the case.

If you can choose from a list you should be able to find your model, or a very similar model to it and it should work. Even an HP LaserJet 4 driver should work just fine.

Also, if you're using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) install the Gimp Printer Drivers off either the 2nd or 3rd OS X.3 CD and see if there's a UNIX driver that will work.
Apple bundled several HP printer drivers with MacOS X. Among these are drivers for the LJ 4, the LJ 4ML, the LJ 4MP, the LJ 4Si, and the LJ 4V. However, the driver for the LaserJet 4P appears not to be among them. Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.