HP LaserJet Network Printer Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bowens, Jan 24, 2007.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I just inherited an HP Laserjet 2100tn printer. I am going to take it home to hook it up to my Intel Mini. I have 10.4.8 installed. There is no usb on the printer so I thought that I would try to run a network cable straight from the mini to the printer. Would this work? Is there anything special I need to do or could I just search for the printer once it's hooked up? Do I need an IP address for the printer?

Thanks

2. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

You'll need to configure the printer with an IP/Subnet to get it to work on your network. I would also get just a simple hub and have it and your mini route through that.

I have a 1320tn and a 2605dtn, both with built in networking. I was amazed at how simple it was to put them on the network and have the mac just "deal" with them...just another amazing feature!

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

How would I go about configuring the printer? There is no screen or anything on it. I'm not sure exactly what to do.

4. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

HP's website should have good support documentation for the printer. You may want to check there.

5. Roric macrumors regular

Use a small hub like pdxplm suggested, and then see if the printer shows up in the default browser. Bonjour might be able to see it. A lot of times, Appletalk is already turned on and it might "just work".