HP May pull from supporting Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 840quadra, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota

Sounds like HP is isn't getting their way, so what do large companies do when they don't get their way ? They plan on dropping support!

This bothers me, as I liked Betamax, many say that Beta was much better technology producing better video quality. I hope that the lesser between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray do not win this battle.
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Nice.. The HP man-child throwing a possible tantrum.
  3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    At what point are we going to see a formal "winner" declared for this debate? Should we have something concrete by late next year, or will this debate go on into 2007? I'm not what you would call an early adopter of technology, mainly because of money, but also because of potential problems with the technology. But it seems to me like the two camps would want something concrete in the near future. If Sony is still planning on including Blu-ray in the PS3 then that might be the push that the Blu-Ray camp needs to take this.
  4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd imagine the market will determine which format will come out on top. That being said, I'm going to wait and see myself before I plunk down any money. I'd hate to be like all those folks who invested in Betamax only to have it unsupported.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i think its going to take awhile before one format wins over the other...

why? because of Betamax, people have learned from that, and seeing the same thing being rehashed again, now, they won't be so eager to jump on new technology, they will sit it out and wait, and that will prolong the debate between the too...

oh well i am in no rush to pick one either.
  6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation

i'm pretty sure blu-ray for the ps3 is a givin. hopefully anyway, sony doesn't need to halt production on it.
  7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    Personally I would like to see that playback devices support both formats. (I don't know if that is even possible)

Both camps have strong players in there teams. Either format has a mix of hardware/software and entertainment driven companies on there side. It is really hard to say who has the last word.

I hope that both sides get together and decide in favor of the consumer.