HP OfficeJet G85 printing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Stormyguy, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help - I have an HP OfficeJet G85 "all-in-one" - print/copy/scan/fax machine attched to my iMac via USB and the printing is PAINFULLY slow (and I mean painful big time).

It seems that the machine will not print if I have applications open on my iMac and even when I quit out of everything the process still takes an age (up yo 5 mins for a side of A4 paper).

My knowledge is very limited but it almost seems like there is no 'buffer'?? Like the info has not been sent away to be processed for printing somewhere and the Mac has to do it all itself bit by little bit? Hope that's not too confusing!!

Does anyone else have this probolem and if so have you managed to solve.
    HP themselves (whilst extremely obliging) are not able to solve the issue.

My final option will be to switch to a Brother multi-function machine but am keen top keep the one I have as it is ideal for our small office environment.

Would be most grateful if anyone has any info
    Thanks
    Danny

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I can't offer any help, except that I have an HP Deskjet 920C that does the same exact thing - takes ten minutes to print a 5 page paper in draft quality. Could it be some kind of driver issue? I'm using OS 10.1.3 - what about you?

3. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi

I'm on OS 9.1 and I wondered about drivers - it was suggested I get a new driver from www.hp.com (search for your printer) but to no avail - in fact I think it was even worse!

Later, HP sent me a new CD with an OLDER version of the driver but that didn't work either.

I've tried a new cable - no joy.

Someone did mention something about USB port drivers but that's where my tech knowledge falls down - I have no idea how to amend any of that!

I would also add that the 'HP Assistant' trhat sits on the desktop and 'runs' the machine also will interrupt at odd times, almost at random and will bring itself to the front which is rather annoying if you're busy touch typing!

I have to say my Laxmark printer on my other iMac is a little 'lazy' too as is my machine at home (on OS 9.2) but nothing as severe as with this HP printer.

I wonder if any of the real 'techies' among us can shed any light/offer any hints??

Danny

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

another reason to NOT get an HP printer

I have an Epson C80 printer, which prints more then fast enough. Just as the 880 that I had before it. Epson has much faster print times then both Lexmark and HP. I know for a fact compared to the Lexmark printers, Epson printers scream. With the Epson taking about 1/3 to 1/4 (if not 1/5) of the time to print an identical page. Epson also has fully optimized their drivers for OS X (at least for their printers produced within the last 1-1/2 years (or so).

5. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is, we need the multi-function option of the G85 HP machine here in our office.

The fax/scan/print/copy combo is just right for us (and means we don't need to clutter up the desks).

I am loathed to part with it but may have to do so if I cannot solve the printing inefficiency.

I gather Brother make these multi-function workstations also - anyone got any experience of these??

Danny

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If your main issue is the speed of printing, then just get a good printer and use the multi-device as the other parts.

I have never been a fan of the all-in-one printer/scanner/fax/copiers since (for the cost) they don't do any one of them very well. The fax and copy features might be good, but you probably can't get high quality scans from it, and as you state, printing speeds are horrid.

With a little creative positioning, you could set up a scanner and printer that has a low desk footprint. Depending on the scanner, you can place them on shelves above the comuter, and the printer below that. Fax machines are often placed in public areas, and if that is what you have been using to make copies, there are some out there that are better at making copies as well as faxes then the multi-function HP device.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. Products that are designed to do one thing, do them much better then devices created to do many things. Especially if those multi-function devices are about the same size as the dedicated device (the scanner/copier/fax... compared to a printer).

You can also share printers over a network, either hosted off of one system, or with a print server (Epson has one that works with most of their printers, and both OS 9.x and OS X). To scan, you need it connected to a computer anyway, why not have one that will blow your socks off then one that is ho hum??

7. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help,

I think you may well be right and I have to throw in the towel!!

It seems Epson is the 'way to go' for printers and then we can look at a fax/copier machine as a separate entity.

Still keen to know why the HP doesn't play properly but I guess it may be one of the great unfathomable problems!

Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated!

Danny

8. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

OK, as an experiment I have just removed my HP Software and printer from my iMac and installed the Lexmark printer from our other iMac and I STILL have the same problem - printing is SO SO slow. The other Mac has inheritited the HP and it's the same sit there too.

Even if I quit all open application and disconnect my internet connection it's still slow (quickER but still slow).

If I so much as press and hold the mouse down it will stop the job from printing.

Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on? I still remember someone (who was a pee-cee user - eeks) mentioning something about Apple and USB port drivers - Not into taking things like that too seriously but I am beginning to wonder if it'a an Apple issue of some kind and not a printer manufacturer issue?

Both Macs are 500mhz 128mb RAM and are approx 8 months old on 0S9.1

Look forward to any views or help.
    Danny

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

As I mentioned before, Lexmark printers ARE dog slow. Epson printers print many times faster (I know this from experience). Try printing with an Epson printer (I know that the C80 will work with BOTH OS 9.x and OS X).

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

I agree about the Epson 880. I also have the 740i up in Maine, somewhere. They both print very nicely, although I like the 880 better.

If I was going to get another printer, it would be the Epson C80. It prints super fast, and the resolution has no comparison.

Question: According to MacAddict the drivers for the C80 for support under OS X were available for download off the Epson website. Does OS X have built in support for the C80 so that you don't need to install the software?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

When I re-did my TiBook with the new hard drive, I did have to intall the C80 drivers under OS X. It wasn't a big deal, since I have a good internet connection speed (DSL that goes between 1.5 and 2Mbit download speeds). Also, if you go and upgrade yours after you get it, to the C80N (by adding the external print server later), just download and install the drivers for the C80N. They work wonderfully with it (I have done this).

Overall, I have been happy with my Epson printers, both an 880 and C80N (gave the 880 to mom when I got the C80). I have recommended the C80 to other people, who have bought them, and they are also very happy with them (on both Mac and peecee systems).

12. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Guys,

OK, I've bought an Espon C80 which does seem to be much quicker - a little slow to spool initially but once you get away it indeed goes "flat out like a lizard drinking"! Looks like the print quality will be good for my digital camera prints too.

I think we will retain the HP machine for fax (it has fax from the flatbed screen or the multipart feeder) and for basic photocopies which is all we need.

An expensive operation but hey - it all works now.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Danny

PS: Will also be proud owner of a new baby iPod (10gb) by the end of the week - yay!!
    :D :D