Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I am running OS X Sierra on 2012 MBA with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 printer / scanner.

I have noticed that after upgrading to Sierra that the scan function no longer works...I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling the device but the problem continues...I have checked the Apple website and note that the HP OfficeJet 8600 is listed as a compatible scanner.

I should also note that the OfficeJet 8600 is connected as a network printer over WiFi and worked perfectly with El Capitain.

With that:

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Has anyone found a solution / workaround?

TIA,

Joel

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am running OS X Sierra on 2012 MBA with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 printer / scanner.

I have noticed that after upgrading to Sierra that the scan function no longer works...I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling the device but the problem continues...I have checked the Apple website and note that the HP OfficeJet 8600 is listed as a compatible scanner.

I should also note that the OfficeJet 8600 is connected as a network printer over WiFi and worked perfectly with El Capitain.

With that:

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Has anyone found a solution / workaround?

TIA,

Joel

I am able to scan with both of my HP devices, but the option to save the scan in any format leaves the [SAVE] button greyed out. Apparently the scanning software is not compatible with Sierra.

I solved my issue by downloading the free HP EasyScan software from the Mac App Store.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I am able to scan with both of my HP devices, but the option to save the scan in any format leaves the [SAVE] button greyed out. Apparently the scanning software is not compatible with Sierra.

I solved my issue by downloading the free HP EasyScan software from the Mac App Store.

Appreciate the response, I will give it go tomorrow when I have more time...I do hope that Apple fixes this problem in its next release...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
My OfficeJet Pro 8600's scanner seems to work fine with HP's 10.11 Bonjour Multifunction drivers (part of the Essentials) under the 10.12.1 Beta 2. An example with Image Capture:
pPQA4LO.png

The resulting PDF from that is also linked.
http://fox.furcode.co/assets/ScanTest.pdf

GGERARD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2015
France
Hello,
many Thanks for dwfaust.:D
absolutly marvellous, my HP Deskjet 3520 works well now.
GGERARD :apple:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
How / where do I get the Bonjour Multifunction drivers noting that I tried to find them but could not...thx!

GGERARD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2015
France
Hello,
I've only downloaded the program at the address given by dwfaust. And all is perfect.
All the others drivers are available on Apple or HP IT sites.
GGERARD

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hello,
I've only downloaded the program at the address given by dwfaust. And all is perfect.
All the others drivers are available on Apple or HP IT sites.
GGERARD

Thx, much appreciated...
[doublepost=1475146680][/doublepost]
My OfficeJet Pro 8600's scanner seems to work fine with HP's 10.11 Bonjour Multifunction drivers (part of the Essentials) under the 10.12.1 Beta 2. An example with Image Capture:
pPQA4LO.png

The resulting PDF from that is also linked.
http://fox.furcode.co/assets/ScanTest.pdf

Where can I get the multifunction drivers as I think I would prefer this over Easy Scan...thx!

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
@JoelBC I had the same prob....couldn't scan to my mac as it wasn't showing up on the scanner. Called HP and they had me install the driver below:

HP Printer Drivers v3.1 for OS X - Apple Support

Since then, been pretty solid. I asked why I had to install an older driver and HP said there was something in El Cap that messed up the scanning so this is a workaround. I told them their software development was poor since they had a year to fix it, and now they have to fix it with Sierra.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
@JoelBC I had the same prob....couldn't scan to my mac as it wasn't showing up on the scanner. Called HP and they had me install the driver below:

HP Printer Drivers v3.1 for OS X - Apple Support

Since then, been pretty solid. I asked why I had to install an older driver and HP said there was something in El Cap that messed up the scanning so this is a workaround. I told them their software development was poor since they had a year to fix it, and now they have to fix it with Sierra.

Thx, much appreciated...I am out of town for a few days but will try it when I get back...agree with you that this is poor software development...

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
My HP photosmart 6520 will not scan as well. I needed a scan tried to do it and bam, nothing. It used to work just fine. I even went so far as to uninstall the drivers and DL new drivers and still nada.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
HP's Easy Start downloads the mentioned Essentials package with that driver. Just uncheck all the optional boxes and you should only get the Essentials package installed. Then restart the computer and make sure the system shows a Multifunction printer, Select the 8600 driver under the "use" box.

Foxlet:

I am back home now and appreciate your response!

It appears as there are two easy workarounds namely i) adding the multifunction driver and ii) adding EasyScan...I am leaning towards adding the multi-function driver because a) it is one less app on my laptop which is my preference and b) I am somewhat apprehensive about using EasyScan due to the negative reviews.

With respect to installing the multi-function driver and your related e-mail / instructions can you please expand on what you mean by "...restart the computer and make sure the system shows a Multifunction printer, Select the 8600 driver under the "use" box..." (i.e. where should my laptop show a multifunction printer (i.e. in what app, where, etc.) AND what / where use box)?

TIA!

Joel
[doublepost=1475614562][/doublepost]
Not sure whose "fault" it is. Apple changes things all the time internally and developers have to update their wares. At any rate, HP EasyScan works well for me.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hp-easy-scan/id967004861?mt=12

default, appreciate the response...in the event that I cannot get the multi-function driver to work I will definitely try the Easy Scan route (even though I am somewhat apprehensive for the reasons noted above)...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Foxlet:

I am back home now and appreciate your response!

It appears as there are two easy workarounds namely i) adding the multifunction driver and ii) adding EasyScan...I am leaning towards adding the multi-function driver because a) it is one less app on my laptop which is my preference and b) I am somewhat apprehensive about using EasyScan due to the negative reviews.

With respect to installing the multi-function driver and your related e-mail / instructions can you please expand on what you mean by "...restart the computer and make sure the system shows a Multifunction printer, Select the 8600 driver under the "use" box..." (i.e. where should my laptop show a multifunction printer (i.e. in what app, where, etc.) AND what / where use box)?

TIA!

Joel

Foxlet et. al.

1. Appreciate the assistance but no need to apply as I followed your instructions and now have it working. I will however note that -- and this through me for a loop initially -- that initiating a scan from a laptop / pc is done through ImageCapture rather that the Printer application / icon.

2. As a follow up to 1. above, it would be nice to be able to initiate a scan through the Printer application / icon rather than ImageCapture.

3. As a follow up to 2. above, I hope that as subsequent releases of OS 10.12 fix this problem so that the scanning can be initiated from the Printer application / icon as it was in the past. Hopefully someone will post this enhanced / improved capability when it is made available.

4. In case anyone is interested, the HP utility application includes EasyScan as part of its install in case someone was interested in a) obtaining the latest version of Easy Scan and/or b) trying both solutions.

5. Worth noting is that the HP Utility does provide a wealth of configuration and setup options.

It would be great to keep this thread updated as subsequent releases of OS 10.12 are released so that we can monitor when this problem is fixed.

TIA,

Joel

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
For those interested Apple -- through the App Store / Update -- today released an update for HP Printers that restores (at least on my HP 8600) scanning capability!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.