HP Photo Scanner 1000 and OSX Panther

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JonRaven, Jan 26, 2004.

1. JonRaven macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

Ok so I bought the USB HP Photo Scanner 1000 for my new powerbook that is running OSX Panther 10.3.2

The package and HP's website say it is windows compliant but says nothing about macs...but I bought it anyways cause it seemed perfect for what I needed.

I read lots of reviews saying that it will work...but when I plug it in...it lights up showing that there is power but nothing else happens. I seem to have tried everything I can think of but have not been able to get it working...

Can anyone out there help me?

I found out that HP makes a 1200 model much the same that actually comes with drivers for OSX and everything..... but... stupidly they only sell it in the UK and ASIA.

Thanks in advance!

Jon Raven
  2. doemel macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2004
    Hi Jon

I have bought the same scanner about half a year ago and I have used it (more or less) successfully under 10.2.x and 10.3.x. I love it because it's so portable and I paid only about US$ 30 for it, but it has its drawbacks. Under 10.2.x it used to show up as a drive in Finder (in about 5-10% of the cases it didn't, in that case I just disconnected and reconnected it; in rare cases, a reboot was necessary) after hooking it up to my TiBook. To scan you just needed to push the button on the side and you'd get 2-3 messages in Finder saying that a USB device hasn't been disconnected properly. Don't worry, the scanner will reappear after that as a drive with the image file as content which you should copy to your HD then.
    Under 10.3 the scanner seem to be a little less reliable, It still works the same way though. I just used and it didn't show up at first so I scanned the picture by pushing that button, I even had to do it twice, but finally the scanner apperared as a drive and I could copy the imae file.
    It's really trial and error with a certain success rate which seems to have decreased since Panther.
    I forgot: sometimes a reboot was necessary after successfully scanning about 10-15 pictures. That's OK if you only scan like 5 pictures at a time...Anyway, I only put up with all the drawbacks because the scanner was so dirt cheap and it's the only flatbed scanner (besides the 1200 model which sells for US$120 over here in Europe and is a bit too pricey for me) that small and that portable.

Hope this helps.
  3. JonRaven thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the reply doemel

Hey there doemel

I am very glad to finally get a reply to my posting about our beloved little HP1000 scanner. I too think it is amazing as a cheap and VERY portable scanner for my new powerbook. The problem is....No matter how many times I plug and unplug the scanner to my new aluminum powerbook G4 1.25, it doesnt show up as a drive in the finder or on my desktop. When I plug it in to my USB port...the light comes on in the scanner bed...but nothing happens after that....even when I press the button. I wonder if it works with some Apple systems but not others? I am quite disappointed as I read tonns of reviews saying apple users are using it and then I get it and it wont work...do you have any ideas to get it to work with my system? Do you think if I boot into OS9 that it would work for me? I havent tried that yet...but not sure why my Nikon 4500 digital camera appears the second it is plugged in even though I never installed any drivers or anything but the scanner will not show up at all. This is beginning to be very frustrating as i really want it to work. I do web design so I dont need the photos to even be high enough rez to be printable like everyone is complaining that this scanner is not good for (printing I mean) so this scanner just seems too perfect for my needs...but I simply cant get it to work.

Hope things arre well with you and that I hear from you again soon.

P.S. I am very familier with the HP1200 scanner and how it can scan to memory card and how it is a lot higher rez so you can print the photos you scan with it... but.../ sadly it is not available here in Canada so I was unable to buy it. I would have paid $100 for it if I could have been able to thats for sure.

Jon Raven