HP Preparing to Take on Apple With TouchPad, Potential Cloud-Based Media Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HP finally appears set to make its splash into the tablet market, announcing late last week that its webOS-based TouchPad will go on sale July 1st and match the iPad's price points of $499.99 for a 16 GB model and $599.99 for a 32 GB model. The pairing of HP and Palm has been seen as one of the most interesting contenders in the tablet market, although none of Apple's other primary competitors have yet made a serious dent in the iPad's dominant market position.

But an iPad competitor (alongside several webOS-based smartphones) may not be HP's only attempt to take Apple head-on, as Billboard reports that the company is also talking to major music labels about developing its own cloud-based music service that could eventually expand to include movies and TV.
    The report summarizes HP's past efforts at developing its own music service, a history that doesn't necessarily instill confidence in the company's ability to put together a quality product this time around, although a number of industry observers have noted that players such as Amazon and Google (and now HP) may have an easier time negotiating the complex music industry now that Apple has created a template with its own iCloud/iTunes Match service.
    While HP has long played a leading role in the computer industry, it had not made a significant push into mobile until its acquisition of Palm last year. But with mobile now appearing set to become a focus for the company, cloud-based media services immediately become a more important piece of the puzzle as the company seeks to catch up with iOS, Android, and BlackBerry in the rapidly-growing market.

Article Link: HP Preparing to Take on Apple With TouchPad, Potential Cloud-Based Media Service

2. macrumors 68030

3. macrumors 68020

4. macrumors 6502a

As a long time mac user and early adopter (iphone and ipad), WebOS is the only thing that could steal me away. We'll see what happens. And What is going on Macrumors with the snarky comment about HP's online services? iTools has been a disaster ever sense it became dotmac and mobile me.

5. macrumors 6502

Today's HP story is bought to you by Ambien.

6. Guest

toddybody

Im very excited for this. Cant wait to ditch my clunky iPad 2 for an HP Tou...ok, I cant say this with a straight face.

7. macrumors regular

This is the type of thread where someone inevitably says "I thought this was MacRumors?"

8. macrumors 6502a

If you knew anything about Palm's WebOS you'd know that many of the original iOS designers left APple to create it. It is iOS done right--with retrospection.

9. macrumors regular

This ain't putting a dent in iPad sales either. Why get a copy cat look alike when you can get the real thing. I bet the 1st Gen iPad sell more than the TouchPad.

10. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I'm not against competition, in fact I encourage it so that the end user is benefited from it, but this is just copying.. that thing looks exactly like an iPad. Turned off, I would confuse it for one.

11. macrumors G4

daneoni

Oh the irony

12. macrumors regular

Hahaha I started laughing when I first starting reading this, I knew it had to be a joke.

13. macrumors 604

gkarris

Love HP products....

Competition = Good.

If there's one to COMPETE with iPad, HP can do it.

Matching the iPad's pricing is a good first step (Motorola's Xoom pricing was a joke... :eek:).

14. macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Indeed. WebOS is nice and all, but will it ever fully take off?

15. macrumors member

If it looks very similar to the iPad, the apps look & behave just as similarly as the iPad apps (look closely at the pic with the email client) except far fewer of them & it's even priced identically to the iPad, tell me again why I wouldn't just buy the known industry leader?

Yawn.

16. macrumors regular

I don't think HP would really be playing to their strengths with this.

17. macrumors 6502

I thought this was MacRumors?

18. macrumors 68000

19. macrumors 68030

If you new anything about Apple you would know who SJ is.

I quoted SJ = Steve Jobs" who was saying "The year of the copy cats"
    at the introduction of the ipad2.

I am not against HP, just saying.................

BTW: Even if these people left Apple, it is still copying:)

20. macrumors 6502a

This is most definitely the "iPad Killer" everyone's been waiting for!

Until next week's iPad Killer comes and goes.

21. macrumors 6502a

Then you're missing the larger picture. They bought the only real competitor for iOS that they can control themselves. Their aim is to out Apple, Apple. I doubt they can do it but i'm hopeful. Apple needs real competition and Android aint it. HP specializes in integrated solutions. the WebOS tablets, phones, and laptops could change everything--if they ever get off the ground.

22. macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Unfortunately, yeah. Honeycomb blows, Microsoft's concept looks interesting (but tacky) and HP is basically a copycat. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I was wondering when HP was going to finally get around to launching the WebOS tablet.

I am waiting for the comments on HP coping Apple with cloud base services and that Apple invented the cloud.

you are talking about Apple there right.

24. macrumors 6502a

That line about competition being best is so tiring... and not really all that true. Anyway, the web OS has a chance but I wonder if they'll try to piggyback on iTunes again?

Thing is, other than a small number of people who chase the latest thing, their target market (like Android tablets) is newcomers to the tablet. Not many people will be willing to ditch their apps they paid money for to go to another platform that offers largely the same type of thing. What will happen to tablets is a lot like what happened with SLR cameras: Once the investment gets beyond a certain point there is a large disincentive to leave but as long as nothing real is invested on the low end then there will be lots of switching around.

25. macrumors regular

Maybe with webOS it will be a decent device, I personally have never had good luck with HP computers or anything HP other than my printer. Competition is good, hopefully they will offer something the iPad or the Android tablets don't have. I am loving the way the mobile platform is just taking off, especially with the tablets, yes Apple was not the first to do a tablet but they sure did get the hype built up.