HP Printer Drivers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mosx, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mosx macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2007
    I've had my MacBook for a week now and I'm loving every minute of it :D Theres only one (maybe two things depending on how you look at it) thing I haven't done yet. I haven't installed my HP printers.

After seeing all the junkware they installed on Windows.... I'm almost deathly afraid of instaling them in OS X haha. I don't want anything like that on my system.

So I'm wondering if anyone can help in telling me exactly what I should download to get full functionality out of my two printers without having to worry about any kind of extra software being installed without my permission. I'm waiting for an email from HP support on this.. but seeing as how they were never helpful with my HP PC, I can't imagine they'll give me a straight answer now.

I have an HP Photosmart 475 printer and and an Officejet 5510v all-in-one.

I have the CDs for both still, including the Mac CD for the Officejet.. I'm just afraid of what they'll install :(

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JonBoy470 macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2004
    Junkware's not so bad for Mac's

IIRC on the Mac the HP driver installs a printer utility on the Mac, lets you manage all your HP printers, clean the cartridges etc. Lives in its own folder under Applications. Generally unobtrusive. HP doesn't bother with all the shovelware crap that they load with their Windows drivers.
  3. shu82 macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2007
    Rocket City, AL
    My hp deskjet was recognized immediately. I used the program installed with tiger to clean and prime it yesterday. Have you tried to plug them in yet and go into the printer/fax area in the system preferences?
  4. mosx thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2007
    I still haven't installed the drivers for my printers :D

I did try them both. They were immediately recognized and basic printing was possible. OS X was able to recognize the internal HDD in the Photosmart printer and send files to it and take them off. But it didn't recognize it as a photo printer. Scanning was impossible too on my Officejet. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and install the software one of these days. :(
  5. berlysue macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2008
    looking for hp 475 photosmart driver

I am searching for the CD for hp 475 photosmart driver and software. Would anyone have a download or CD to share?